Combat Jackets - Internal Pockets

OK, I know this may be a bone question, but, every combat jacket I was ever issued, from the stuff of the early 80's, through to Combat 95, had some sort of pocket feature in the lower back, inside the jacket.

On the early one's it had a couple of buttons, and was a single compartment, and you could actually roll the jacket up, into the pocket, with a bit of maneouvering, to make a handy pillow. However, I doubt that this is what the designers actually intended.

Over the years, this pocket still appeared, but was split into two. Even my arctic windproof smocks had them.

What on earth were/are they for - do any of you fellow old/bold/retired have the answer :?: :? :?:

To dry the pair of socks out you've worn all day whilst you wear your other ones? Obviously back decks work slightly better...

You could fold the combat jacket in on itself into that pocket, it was then small and compact for packing. I'm on about the combat jackets issued in the 70's.

Never saw it used for anything else.

.Sven said:
I'm on about the combat jackets issued in the 70's.
Thought you were on about the red tunics you used to wear in your day oh balding one.

smudge67 said:
ironrations said:
Thought it was called a poachers pocket, for eggs perhaps...
Yup.....for eggs......until you don your webbing :roll:
:D Guilty of being a little sarcastic perhaps.... You can fit a couple of rabbits or a hare in it.

.Sven said:
You could fold the combat jacket in on itself into that pocket, it was then small and compact for packing. I'm on about the combat jackets issued in the 70's.

Never saw it used for anything else.
Similar to the one inside the windproof smock. I've stitched mine across the top to stop it rolling down, as it can be quite annoying and also looks rather shit. I can imagine that this would be very useful as a pillow, but that side of things is already taken care of. By my pillow.

Bossdog said:
.Sven said:
I'm on about the combat jackets issued in the 70's.
Thought you were on about the red tunics you used to wear in your day oh balding one.
I'm not Sven nor balding :wink:

The WW2 British assault vest pioneered a similar pocket which was labelled as to what was supposed to go in it. Sadly I can't find a picture or remember properly. I think it was intended for a jersey, probably a thinner one than the "Jersey, man's, heavy wool" that many of us would be familiar with.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
EX_STAB said:
The WW2 British assault vest pioneered a similar pocket which was labelled as to what was supposed to go in it. Sadly I can't find a picture or remember properly. I think it was intended for a jersey, probably a thinner one than the "Jersey, man's, heavy wool" that many of us would be familiar with.
In the ACF about 1971 I was issued battledress along with a khaki jumper with slits to feed the shirt epaulette thought.

I remember asking the same question many years ago, and was told that the combat jacket had been designed so that you didn't need to carry short order webbing, so the back pocket was for your mess tins and rations. Tried it once, in private, looked a complete prat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L The NAAFI Bar 85
skidmarx Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4
Pigsick RLC 39