Combat Jackets - Internal Pockets

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by JT0475, Jan 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, I know this may be a bone question, but, every combat jacket I was ever issued, from the stuff of the early 80's, through to Combat 95, had some sort of pocket feature in the lower back, inside the jacket.

On the early one's it had a couple of buttons, and was a single compartment, and you could actually roll the jacket up, into the pocket, with a bit of maneouvering, to make a handy pillow. However, I doubt that this is what the designers actually intended.

Over the years, this pocket still appeared, but was split into two. Even my arctic windproof smocks had them.

What on earth were/are they for - do any of you fellow old/bold/retired have the answer :?: :? :?:
  2. No CS95 jacket I ever got had any pocket in the lower back :?
  3. To dry the pair of socks out you've worn all day whilst you wear your other ones? Obviously back decks work slightly better...
  4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Was this not to store your KFS, spare socks, KF shirt and boot cleaning kit for Active Edge inspection
  5. Wasn't one of the compartments about the size of an slr mag ?
  6. Thought it was called a poachers pocket, for eggs perhaps...
  7. You could fold the combat jacket in on itself into that pocket, it was then small and compact for packing. I'm on about the combat jackets issued in the 70's.

Never saw it used for anything else.
  8. Yup.....for eggs......until you don your webbing :roll:
  9. Thought you were on about the red tunics you used to wear in your day oh balding one.
  10. :D Guilty of being a little sarcastic perhaps.... You can fit a couple of rabbits or a hare in it.
  11. Similar to the one inside the windproof smock. I've stitched mine across the top to stop it rolling down, as it can be quite annoying and also looks rather shit. I can imagine that this would be very useful as a pillow, but that side of things is already taken care of. By my pillow.
  12. :D
  13. It is either to compact them down for putting in bergen/kit bag or for use as pillow.
  14. May have been wrong about CS95.... 8O
  15. I'm not Sven nor balding :wink: