Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combat helicopter flight sim

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Hi, during this unusual period, i have been thinking back to when i used to play a lot of games on my PC. I really enjoyed playing th Commanche series of games on my PC. Unfortunately games of that age do not run on Windows 7! Does anyone know of any similar games that would work on a more modern system? Im looking for a ralstic game that i can fly missions in aand blow up enemy targets rather than just fly about.

I used to love Comanche 3. Terrain masking etc really worked - snurgling in through valleys, avoiding SAM sites, launching missiles from distance... then an SU-25 Frogfoot strafes you out of the sky. Many a happy hour.

Holy crap, I just had a look at collective controls for sim pits.

Just under £1000!

I believe that Vipil are working on having a heli set-up HOTAS for the back end of this year. If you haven't checked out their stuff, you might like to check out a few reviews, well engineered (for that, read over-engineered) gear. Having said that, it's a bit pricey!

Additionally, with regard to VR, the one to hold out for being delivered to the masses, is StarVR, though you'd need to sell a few organs to cover the cost at the moment. Full human peripheral vision capability, with eye-tracking built in, it should be the dogs-doodahs for those that have the dosh..

Lastly, I had a cabby on these rudder pedals from Thrustmaster, and the difference between these and standard offerings of other manufacturers is night-and-day. Very fluid feel, functioning as per a real aircraft, but again, not cheap:

Holy crap, I just had a look at collective controls for sim pits.

Just under £1000!

Tank sim controllers are about the same.

However, a regular throttle will work fine. If the two DCS modules I've tried (Huey and Gazelle) are any indication, you don't need a throttle, and the throttle you have will work fine as a collective.

GOG has a sale on a bunch of retro flight sim, shooter and strategy games including Gunship

NSP

LE
I got a pennies deal on Helliborne and I can't leave it alone. On the Soviet side I'm sporting a MiL-8 armed with more teeth than you can shake a stick at, some seriously tooled-up door-gunners and 2/3rd platoon of infantry; a top-end Hind and a licence-built Romanian Puma with some serious toys. I'm using this squadron to fight my way up to enough points to bring my US side up to the same level - although so far the only showing is a Chinook - but you should see what's hanging out of the doors! And what's hanging off of pylons I wasn't aware could be hung off of it (and probably can't, else we would have already).

NSP

LE
Tank sim controllers are about the same.

However, a regular throttle will work fine. If the two DCS modules I've tried (Huey and Gazelle) are any indication, you don't need a throttle, and the throttle you have will work fine as a collective.
Took me ages to realise that I was piling the Gazelle in by over-torquing the rotor when I shoved the throttle slider all the way up.

Just need to work out which key commands give me weapons lock/release and assign them to the joystick and I might get something out of it.

Completed the UN mission with the UH-1 with DCS. (The default which comes with the module). Not bad. Decided to acquire the Greek campaign (Argo), and have come to a screeching halt due to a bug in the campaign. Unfortunately, DCS has changed since the campaign was released, and few things broke. Unsure if I want to get the German campaign. Will probably move back to the F-5E.

I got a pennies deal on Helliborne and I can't leave it alone. On the Soviet side I'm sporting a MiL-8 armed with more teeth than you can shake a stick at, some seriously tooled-up door-gunners and 2/3rd platoon of infantry; a top-end Hind and a licence-built Romanian Puma with some serious toys. I'm using this squadron to fight my way up to enough points to bring my US side up to the same level - although so far the only showing is a Chinook - but you should see what's hanging out of the doors! And what's hanging off of pylons I wasn't aware could be hung off of it (and probably can't, else we would have already).
Heliborne is great but my door gunners are pants - can they be upgraded? I also haven't mastered calling in mortar strikes.

NSP

LE
Heliborne is great but my door gunners are pants - can they be upgraded? I also haven't mastered calling in mortar strikes.
I think you need to swap out some infantry for a mortar team in a transport heli', drop the team off somewhere near your target then switch to a heli' with a mortar controller onboard and select him as the active weapon then put the cross on what you want to mallet with indirect fire to do that.

I think you need to swap out some infantry for a mortar team in a transport heli', drop the team off somewhere near your target then switch to a heli' with a mortar controller onboard and select him as the active weapon then put the cross on what you want to mallet with indirect fire to do that.
Oh I know *how* to do it. I'm just not very good at arranging myself properly to do it.

Can we make teams to play in groups?

Ive been playing with a bunch of mates while chatting on a discord server. Does Arrse have a games Discord server for this sort of stuff?

NSP

LE
Does Arrse have a games Discord server for this sort of stuff?
If someone figures out how to build an online team I'm in.

NSP

LE
Just got the Take On: Helicopters sim plus Hinds on offer on Steam, about a fiver for the lot. Bit more sophisticated in the flight model than the other two cited Hind games but reacts like a real heli - heavy-handed and it falls out of the sky; gentle input and it plays. Just taken a Merlin down a nice Afghan valley without twatting anything. There's a gunner on the ramp but he has eff all to do in the instant action training mode. Although I did discover that if I land it and get out I'm tooling about with an M4 and a Holywood mag carrier on my vest.

Just got the Take On: Helicopters sim plus Hinds on offer on Steam, about a fiver for the lot. Bit more sophisticated in the flight model than the other two cited Hind games but reacts like a real heli - heavy-handed and it falls out of the sky; gentle input and it plays. Just taken a Merlin down a nice Afghan valley without twatting anything. There's a gunner on the ramp but he has eff all to do in the instant action training mode. Although I did discover that if I land it and get out I'm tooling about with an M4 and a Holywood mag carrier on my vest.
That's helicopter centric ARMA isn't it?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

So did the guage make a move towards you first? Or did you ambush it?

ISWYDT.

TamH70

MIA
That's helicopter centric ARMA isn't it?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
It's heavily integrated into ARMA 3, yes. Same engine and everything.

DCS World without a doubt. It's free of charge but you will spend a fortune on add on maps, aircraft, missions etc.

Fantastically detailed though and multiplayer is tons of fun

Latest Threads