Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combat helicopter flight sim

gorilla

War Hero
Hi, during this unusual period, i have been thinking back to when i used to play a lot of games on my PC. I really enjoyed playing th Commanche series of games on my PC. Unfortunately games of that age do not run on Windows 7! Does anyone know of any similar games that would work on a more modern system? Im looking for a ralstic game that i can fly missions in aand blow up enemy targets rather than just fly about.

Ritch

LE
Hi, during this unusual period, i have been thinking back to when i used to play a lot of games on my PC. I really enjoyed playing th Commanche series of games on my PC. Unfortunately games of that age do not run on Windows 7! Does anyone know of any similar games that would work on a more modern system? Im looking for a ralstic game that i can fly missions in aand blow up enemy targets rather than just fly about.

I think there's a title out there called Air Missions: Hind. I haven't played it so I can't comment on gameplay and it has been out since 2016 so it may be a bit dated.

TamH70

MIA
Oh, I know this one!

which needs this to run:

Also - Apache Longbow on GOG.com - runs on Windows 10

as does this:

Okay, the games are pretty old, but they're cheap and they run on potato.

DCS World, it's the gold standard.

Currently they have the UH1, Gazelle and some Russian heli's. it does not get any more realistic that DCS and it's on offer at the moment because of the lockdown.

Beware though, the learning curve is extremely steep. I bought an F16 Viper 6 weeks ago and have still not mastered it. I still don't know how to use the laser for bombing or how to properly tune the radar for ground targets. Air to air refueling is a pipe dream for the moment.

Consider getting VR for it as well if you have the cash.

Currently they have the UH1, Gazelle and some Russian heli's. it does not get any more realistic that DCS and it's on offer at the moment because of the lockdown.

Beware though, the learning curve is extremely steep. I bought an F16 Viper 6 weeks ago and have still not mastered it. I still don't know how to use the laser for bombing or how to properly tune the radar for ground targets. Air to air refueling is a pipe dream for the moment.

I spent a few evenings learning to start the Spitfire, an amazing simulation and thoroughly immersive.

Learning to land the F-14 on a carrier also focused the mind. I fancy buying the F-18 or F-16 add ons, which would you recommend?

edit: I have the Huey add on, but I would need to change my sim pit quite a bit to simulate helicopter control.

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt

I've had a go on a mate's DCS World Huey with the VR headset and I was a bit disappointed with the fidelity of the dials.

I spent a few evenings learning to start the Spitfire, an amazing simulation and thoroughly immersive.

Learning to land the F-14 on a carrier also focused the mind. I fancy buying the F-18 or F-16 add ons, which would you recommend?

edit: I have the Huey add on, but I would need to change my sim pit quite a bit to simulate helicopter control.

I think that the F18 is slightly more refined in real life and that shines through in the DCS models. I have both but I'm working on the viper at the moment. Most people say that the Hornet is better. Better flight envelope, more stable etc.

They are both hi-def models, if you can fly the F14 and operate it's navigation aids (whatever that things has) and weapons then you will probably find the viper and hornet easier to operate. If you like carrier ops (new nimitz model out soon) then you can use your hornet, the viper has no hook so you cant do carrier ops with it.

I've not flown the Tomcat yet, I find it exhausting, mentally, to fly this sim and i'm not switching planes until i've properly got the hang of my current ones first. I can just about handle cas missions on demand in the A10C now which was an accomplishment. There is something very satisfying about flying a right hand orbit over some armour and picking them off one by one.

I started off with the Mustang, single seat prop, warbird, should be easy to start off with I thought!. As I trundled down the runway and finally got airborne the torque from the engine rolled the whole plan over and it went arse over tit. Next take off I gave it less power but still managed to explode the engine within 3 minutes of being airborne.
On my third try, I nursed the wretched thing into the air and fiddled with the mixture to stop it blowing up again. I was so engrossed in levers and buttons that I did not notice that I was flying toward a mountain side, at the last minute i saw it, rolled over, pulled the stick back to turn and ripped the bloody wings off.

I gave up on warbirds after that, jets are much easier to fly.

You can use the available flight manuals from the real life aircraft to learn how to operate the MFD pages, radar and RWR etc...

edit: Also the F18 has a functioning datalink, i dont think the viper does so if you fly with anyone else or use an AWACS, your better off with the hornet.

Something a little more casual but i think very fun is Helibourne. Very team oriented and good fun with a friend or three. and doesn't cost your liver and first born child to play.

Oh, I know this one!

which needs this to run:

Also - Apache Longbow on GOG.com - runs on Windows 10

as does this:

Okay, the games are pretty old, but they're cheap and they run on potato.
Take on helis can then be applied to Arma 3 for some great missions.

Posiible daft question of the week - do you need a joystick - or can you just use keyboad as none of the games state that
Heliborne doesn't need a joystick. For the price it is a decent on-line co-op game

Statistics

Old-Salt

+1 for DCS, I've Black Shark from them. Outrageously realistic and takes a lot of time to learn, but it's most definitely worth it, very satisfying.

Latest Threads