Combat Fitness Test

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by TA4645, Oct 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Does any body know whats going on with regards to the distance to be covered?
    I know it stands at 4 miles now, but was told it would increase to 6 miles either september or this month and then progress back to the 8 miles next year.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Many PTIs with many stories have somewhat blurred the picture!!
     
  2. Linked to here from Army MATT page
     
  3. Start training for the 8 miler then .At least we use bergans now always hated trying to fill the weight in 58 pattern
     
  4.  
  5. Well lets be honest, if the 8 miles becomes a requirement for bounty earning, the TA will lose 80% of its manpower.
    Good call, men in Ivory Towers!
     
  6. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Speak for yourself, snail boy. If they make it 8 miles the TA will lose 80% of its wasters, with the remaining 20% of wasters bucking their ideas up to keep the bounty.

    For the vast majority it just requires a change in mindset and a slightly longer walk. Lets not make it up to be a big deal - it isn't!
     
  7. I agree with the Duke.

    Boot out those that will never do it.
    Train up those that can nearly do it.
    Reward those that can do it with Beer & Strippers.

    Only exceptions for key enablers (ie good chefs), but don't give them their bounty.
     
  8. It isn't a big deal but but if you look at a certain floating regiment, currently under strength, the average age is 40 and trade wise they are invaluable. Put this restriction on and it WILL cease to exist. Who loses out?
     
  9. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    So because they are 40 they are incapable of walking 6 miles with 15Kg? Watch out, there are new age discrimination rules in place now, you know! Did they manage the 4 miles last year, or have their CofC always fudged the books?
     
  10. Get shot of the fatties who don't want to change and improve the fitness of those who do, where is the problem
     
  11. why will the TA lose 80% of its manpower if CFT's GO BACK to eight miles when i joined 11 years ago that was what we did then it dropped to 4 miles to appease the bounty hunters who failed nearly all there itd's anyway and it is the same people who failed the 8 milers who are failling the 4 milers after an initial schimf everybody will be used to the 8miler again and it will still be the same people failing and they will still get signed off on there bounty as the head sheads will be scared of loosing numbers
    aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnndd..................... breath
    rant mode off
     
  12. I can't understand why people make such a big deal of this, if you are not up to the standard of 8 mile's and are not prepared to put in the training to get to the standard then don't join, simple as that. We might lose a few people but on the other hand we might gain a few more who think that maybe we are a serious fighting force and not dad's army, after all that is what we want a one army concept so if the reg's do it so do we. The old and bold i have spoken to about this say they have hat to do it at some point before in there military time, be it ta or reg, some say they will crack on and train for it, other's say that it's time to leave but most of them where going to go any way.
     
  13. msr

    msr LE

    Best CFT I ever did was with 1 Wessex in Denmark.

    Helicopter drop 8 miles out. CFT back to camp.

    msr
     
  14. My bold.

    I agree, but a balance needs to be struck between an effective reserve and an effective amount of reserve. A cadre of only 1000 fully-fit soldiers is no more use than what we have today.

    That said, if we want to serve with the regs, we need to show we are as good as them in the basic things like walking, running, and shooting.

    Just my 2 pence worth.

    FF.
     
  15. What's the drama FFS? It's only a two hour walk at a relatively easy pace. OK so you're carrying 55lbs and you're going to sweat a bit, but at the end of the day if you can't or won't do it then you shouldn't be in. End of story.