Combat Engineering

Hi lads

Got my interview a week Thursday,but still don't really have a clue as to what I want to do in the army.

I want to do combat, but my careers office are really trying to push me away from infantry as they keep saying it'd be a waste.

They're pushing me towards RMP (I don't want to do that), OpIntel (Don't want to do that either, or RE.

My question to you is, if I join as an engineer, how long is it 'til I can train to become a combat engineer, then possibly a commando engineer? Is that how it works, or am I completely off target?

I know I want to go in the army to fight, as blood-thirsty as that sounds.. but I would also like something that would give me transferable skills once I leave.

Link doesn't work, sorry.

I'm not sure what type of engineer I'd want to be, maybe plumbing and heating, something with a future outside the army..

S

Screw_The_Nut

Its phase 1 basic, then phase 2 combat engineers, the it's usually your trade (up to 9 months) then you can choose to go airborne/commando (obviously cdo is the way foward), then when you get to your unit you can choose to become a diver, pti, eod search etc etc etc.

Royal Engineers - God's own corps

RetroMozza said:
Funny you should say that, I think I've decided on AS90 gunner...!

Been researching it, sounds like a great role..!
Aye, that'll make you popular on the Sapper forum!!

(I'm guessing that you are unaware that animosity between the RA and the RE goes back hundreds of years and that more blood flows during the annual Sapper/Gunner rugby match than on the streets of Basra!).

;
If you're going artillery and have ambitions to do something extra, you could always consider:

4/73 Spec ops Battery (listed on a walt site)

Before moving onto

148 Commando Forward Observation Battery (same walt site)

Go to the search bar at the top, type words such as "Forward Observation and Sphinx".

Better get you allegiances right between RA and RE, a rivalry as fearsome as the RLC and the AEC!!! Blood spills over books about trucks amid squabbles of failed Army Numeracy tests and books past their check in date.

RetroMozza said:
No, care to delve into detail?

What happened? Did RA steal one of RE's handbags?

**Casts rod out in hope of a bite**
A bite? You'll be lucky mate. It would help if you actually were a gunner instead of a gopping civvie wannabe :wink:

And if you're interested, do a search. There are a few threads on it.

thought you said you wanted to 'do combat'. in the artillery? engr cdo/airborne gonna 'do combat' hell of a lot more. plus you can get some useful skills out of trade training, with civi quals to go along with. if you want transferrable skills... what civi job is even close to being a gunner?

kernow_sapper said:
thought you said you wanted to 'do combat'. in the artillery? engr cdo/airborne gonna 'do combat' hell of a lot more. plus you can get some useful skills out of trade training, with civi quals to go along with. if you want transferrable skills... what civi job is even close to being a gunner?
Rent boy?

wedge35 said:
RetroMozza said:
No, care to delve into detail?

What happened? Did RA steal one of RE's handbags?

**Casts rod out in hope of a bite**
A bite? You'll be lucky mate. It would help if you actually were a gunner instead of a gopping civvie wannabe :wink:

And if you're interested, do a search. There are a few threads on it.
Gopping civvie wannabe?! Very true, but also not the worst thing I've ever been called!

I'll have a look through... thanks...

S

Screw_The_Nut

RetroMozza said:
Hi lads

Got my interview a week Thursday,but still don't really have a clue as to what I want to do in the army.

I want to do combat, but my careers office are really trying to push me away from infantry as they keep saying it'd be a waste.

They're pushing me towards RMP (I don't want to do that), OpIntel (Don't want to do that either, or RE.

My question to you is, if I join as an engineer, how long is it 'til I can train to become a combat engineer, then possibly a commando engineer? Is that how it works, or am I completely off target?

I know I want to go in the army to fight, as blood-thirsty as that sounds.. but I would also like something that would give me transferable skills once I leave.
You really don't have a clue what you even want, if AS90 gunner sounds like a good choice out of the above criteria.

Lets think... hmm... combat? As an AS90 gunner? Zero... Transferable skills as an AS90 gunner once you leave the forces? hmm... Zero.

Alternatively, RE, tradesman and combat engineer (lots of transferable skills) plus commando (even if not, these days) get attached to infantry platoons on ops (especially in afghan) and you deploy on the ground and do as they do. Look into the role 24 commando RE are doing at the moment.

If I was a dumb, blind and disabled hedgehog in a bag, I'd still know which one to choose.... :roll:

Screw_The_Nut, good reply.

You're pretty much right, I don't know what I want.

I'm stuck between doing what I want to do, which is combat (not necessarily on foot) and doing something worthwhile for the future.

Combat engineers in theory sounds great, but what part of engineering? None have taken my fancy so far apart from heating and plumbing..!

What does a combat engineer do? Does he go on the frontline to do his trade (fix a pipe, build a bridge etc) or does combat engineer mean that you go fighting as infantry when needed?

I need to have 3 choices done over the next few days -- and if there's a job in the army, I've considered it, CMT, RMP, the lot. I'm still struggling however..

I hope someone can help me out a bit..

What jobs are there in the RE that mean I am pretty certain to see combat with?

RetroMozza said:

I'm stuck between doing what I want to do, which is combat (not necessarily on foot) and doing something worthwhile for the future.

Combat engineers in theory sounds great, but what part of engineering? None have taken my fancy so far apart from heating and plumbing..!

What does a combat engineer do? Does he go on the frontline to do his trade (fix a pipe, build a bridge etc) or does combat engineer mean that you go fighting as infantry when needed?

I need to have 3 choices done over the next few days -- and if there's a job in the army, I've considered it, CMT, RMP, the lot. I'm still struggling however..

Combat engineering can mean lots of things; it could mean that you are knocking up tents somewhere quiet or that you are sticking up a bridge or breaching a minefield under enemy fire (both have happened, more than once, within the past few years). You could be employed supervising locals digging in septic tanks or you could be conducting operations as part of a counter-etrrorist search team. There are few trades that can be as REMFy and as warry as combat engineering, all at the same time.

But if you are interested in 'seeing combat' and deploying with the infantry - here's an interesting tip for you: stop fannying about an join the infantry. Do what you really want to do - regardless of what anyone else tells you - and you will be happy. Join the RE simply for a trade and you will hate it and probably be a bit of a numpty as well.

Simply put, I know nobody - absolutely nobody - who has left the Corps and now does their artisan trade on civvie street. Be RE because you want to be a Sapper or go back into the recruiting office and say that you are joining your local infantry regiment, full stop. I think I know what you'd rather do so for fcuk sake man, go and do it.

RetroMozza said:

All engineers are trained combat engineers, the trade is something ontop.
And your theory about wanting to see combat doesn't make sense if you want to fire artillery pieces, they're generally not on the front line..hope that helps

Latest Threads