Combat ban for Afghanistan helicopters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Combat ban' for Afghanistan helicopters
    Helicopters earmarked by the Ministry of Defence to help British troops in Afghanistan will not be able to fly on combat operations because they are not armour-plated, senior RAF sources have disclosed.

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
    Published: 10:45PM BST 03 Aug 2009

A Royal Naval Merlin helicopter lands aboard the HMS Illustrious Photo: GETTY
    A failure to equip the six Merlin helicopters – which will go to Helmand in December – with proper protection from bullets and rocket-propelled grenades will endanger the lives of passengers and crew, pilots have told The Daily Telegraph.
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Dont get hit by one, simples.... :roll:
  3. Obvious really innit? They'll put all that meshy stuff on them like was on the sangars across the water.
  4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Don't they through loads of odd shaped objects out of their chuff at high velocity?

Oops, no thats hermers, aint it :D I meant Chaff.
  5. Really? The Taliban are trying to down a helicopter full of troops? The cads! Who'd have thought? Glad the Telegraph told us otherwise we might never have realised......
  6. something like this?

7. Command_doh

After that Herc went down and with all the fallout about poor equipment, lack of fire - retardant foam/filling of the wings, and with us generally being a miserley/cheapo/poorly funded Force on the whole, I can't begin to imagine what the press would do with a downed chinook story...

I'm just amazed (and relieved) that it hasn't happened yet. But surely with the amount of near misses and close calls, isn't it only a matter of time before a heli full of blokes crashes or gets shot down?
  8. Why have they got a picture of a naval Merlin (for hunting subs, detecting surface vessels and various other naval stuff) to go with a story about RAF Merlins?
  9. And will we have the resources, and capability to avoid a Blackhawk Down moment?
  10. It happened to the yanks with a British fatality, it could have been worse if it was full though.
  11. Yep. Stops heat-seeking RPGs every time!
  12. Command_doh

Hmmm, all those missing Stingers, eh? Getting a bit rusty (when they are not being modified for bombs - as in the USS Cole attack) I heard. Unless the Saudi's and ISI are paying for the newer kit - and surely our choppers would be dropping like flies if they were - I was under the impression they were more likely to be packing old school Kaytusha's.
  13. The MoD might now delay the Merlins deployment in order to have them fitted with the armour, or it could deploy them as "a calculated risk".
    When are the people in charge going to get things right and start giving our troops the vital helicopters,Equipment and man power they need.Not the helicopters which now have to be modified so that the troops can use them . This is a total disgrace
  14. What armour do these fancy Merlins have compared to the Cdo SeaKing MK4's that have been running about for a while in the stan? Because i didnt think the MK4's had any either. Oh and the lynx's that were here as well.