ColTim hits out at counterfeit republicans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Apr 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Col Tim Collins has hit out against what he terms "counterfiet republican terrorist's" endangering the peace process.

Is he right? That these so called terrorists are putting lasting peace after terror & drug dealing. Some one once told me there will never be a lasting peace over here.In a way,he was right.
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Well, he's right in that organised crime has been the stock in trade of many terrorists for a long time. Labour's policy of appeasing terrorists has allowed their 'sidelines' to flourish, and it won't be stopped until the political will exists to deal with it. Unfortunately, the Utopian view of the current government doesn't include dealing with these scum - it's all going to be peace and love from July 2007, according to them.
  3. Being philosphical at the Philosophical Society always goes down well.

He speaks a lot of sense and I hope both governments take at least some of this on board.
    No rose tinted glasses like the HMG version, just simple common sense and very well put.
  4. I had the good fortune of attending this talk at the Phil the other evening, and had the pleasure of meeting Col. Collins. He spoke off the cuff for thirty minutes solid - he was erudite, witty, to the point, and wonderfully blunt; he held the room spellbound. Afterwards, Col. Collins and a small group of us headed off to a city centre pub (himself in evening dress with R. Irish regimental bow tie and Irish Defence Forces cufflinks) and later a nightclub. Best fun I've had in ages. The man is inspirational and has some very interesting things to say.
  5. I hope it was better than the dinner speech he give at the Services Club dinner at Queens, the night before rememberance sunday last year, and the after dinner drinks. I was sorely disappointed when I met the man himself.

Quite rude at times to the staff and very much full of his own PR......I really do hope I just caught him on a bad night.
  6. He is undoubtedly an abrasive and robust character (which are marks in his favour in my opinion), and having met him I can see that he is the sort of fellow one either likes or dislikes - there is no halfway house with Col. Collins.
  7. Just finished reading his book. I actually found the first few chapters and the last few the most interesting. He does indeed seem an abrasive character and it's notable that so few in the army brass came to his defence. However, I guess what counts is how effective a field commander he was - any comments?
  8. Perhap's he will venture into politics and run for Parliament ?
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Then he can speak out about the counterfeit politicians currently in government...
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Was'nt the some hype about him joining the Tory party a while back? I'd vote for him if he did!
  11. I've just finished reading his book too and was dissappointed with Col Tim. He slagged off one of his company commanders in the book about a company being out of position on Telic 1. It made no difference to the overall operation and this guy has no means of public reply, I'd say that was unprofessional of Col Collins. I'd also say as an individual he was far to aggressive in Iraq and was largely the architect of his own downfall although clearly lacked the insight to see it.
  12. I can't comment on Tim Collins as a person because I have never met him and only know about him through the media. However, he's absolutely spot on about this issue of 'counterfeit republican terrorists' and the backwardness of NI politics.............. perhaps it could be argued that they are two of several important factors that is stopping NI from becoming a 'normal' society, and I have to agree with ViroBono in that it is the responsibility of the British Government to address those issues. The policy of 'appeasement' (I don't agree with that interpretation of the Peace process but will use that phrase for now!) has run it's course, achieved what was necessary to get us to this point - now a different approach is needed.

IMHO, part of the new strategy is to beef up the PSNI substantially, beginning with an inspired and inspiring recruiting drive - and one of the PSNI's priorities has got to be the annihilation of the 'paramilitary' criminal organistions. Not only are they an abomination in any sense, but they distort NI commercially and socially in a disproportionate way - NI is too small to absorb that amount of criminality.

Another part of the new strategy is to dismantle the current NI political structure and introduce new ideas and new political movements that are not based on tribal boundaries, religions or ethnicity. How that is brought about will be a lengthy and complex operation but that shouldn't be a reason for not doing it.

I was commenting on the neantherdal responses to an announcement of some investment in north Belfast a few weeks ago to some men I was running a course for - and who were complaining about the idiocy of their politicians - and asked them "well, who of you votes for these idiots?!" - and they told me none of them did, they don't vote because there aren't any alternatives. No wonder nothing changes....
  13. How are you going to get more varied politics in Northern Ireland ?the Alliance party was trying to appeal to both tribes but the majority just voted tribally as usual The Tories
    field candidates,the other mainland parties don't.It always goes back to tribal lines I would love to see change there.At one time Unionists supported the R.U.C. now I got the impression last time I was home there's not much support for the PSNI despite them having a badge with everyting but the kitchen sink on it ,symbols matter there.
    It always goes back to one person feels British the other Irish I have wished for many years the schools would mix.I was brought up in the Protestant tradition took great pride in thinking I was British until I landed on the mainland where no-body thought I was this day as soon as I open my mouth I get a look and told I'm Irish.
    As my late Mother used to say "They've been fighting for 400 years,"Why would they stop this week?"
  14. Well, during my long service in HM Forces I have met many officers from 2Lts to Generals and I found many of them to be polite and in most cases honest and respectful to others.
    After meeting Collins, I cannot say the same for him. My encounter with him was when he visited the HQ that I work in (after he had left the Army) and he asked me for some computer type technical help, which I gladly gave him and then when I returned his disc to him he ignored me and never even said thank you. Now, I was always brought up to say thank you -it costs nothing to be polite - and dare I say it, that I believe my manners are certainly better than those displayed by Collins to me that day.

Next time - he can sort it out himself. He proved to me that he is certainly a fully paid up member of the 'Green Mafia'

15. Funny enough, that sounds very like my own experience with the man (after he had retired)