Colt Walker.....

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by plunderer, Aug 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anybody else here shoot one of these early 'magnums'?

I've had mine, serial #1816, since 1988. If you don't have the Holy Black, then you are going to need a generous pal to shoot with - every cylinder-load is 300gr of FFFg...

I made the box shortly after I bought it - the tin of Joyce caps, real #26, is original and amazingly, a high proportion of the ones I tried actually went off.

2. What make is it? (Assuming its not an original Walker....)
  3. A mate has one. Like a hand cannon, great fun. The ram does tend to drop into the bottom cylinder though.

Plus, are you sure 300gr?? The max he can get in his is 60gr which is plenty.
  4. What's the cylinder engraving.........Indians,or Indians with Dragoons?

Nice,tac pity you didn't have that in Berlin,would have enjoyed shooting it.........and I would think 'running costs' would have been lower! ;-)
  5. Yes, quite recently. As said above, great fun.
  6. Uh, ONE cylinder with SIX chambers, EACH chamber holding 50gr = 300 gr.

7. Fired one a couple of times, 60 grains is max you can stuff in and is best described as an experience.

40 grain of Swiss No2 plus wad or filler works well enough.

Approved method for keeping the rammer in place was a strip of rawhide although the bloke who owns the one I shot uses a rubber band claiming that is perfectly OK as they were patented in 1845.
  8. The original 1250 in-service Walkers, and a couple of hundred non-consecutive numbered units were all made by Colt in Harford CONN. They are rare and VERY valuable - recently one was auctioned for around $400,000, but they do come for less, depending on condition. Many were ruined by overloading [nothing new there, eh] as the cylinders were made of iron, and not steel.

Mine is a Second Series [also known as the Black Box series, for obvious reasons], made in 1980 from rough parts supplied by Uberti of Italy to Colt Blackpowder Firearms in the Bronx, who had bought the rights and trading name and tooling off Colt in the late 70's, so that they could legally be said to have been made in the USA by Colt. Serial numbers carried on from the original series - a shooting pal of mine over the way has #1422, VERY near to the original last number of 1250. Additionally, each of the 5 x 250 revolvers were stamped with the unit company letter, so you would have seen A0001, B0251 and so on, right up to E1250.....

The third series, the so-called 'signature series' showed a marked reduction in the overal quality, fit and finish from the 'Coltberti' versions.

I rarely get to shoot mine, as I usually shoot my front-stuffers with a sub, and rely on the generosity of a pal with an over-abundance of the real thing. Ball size is .451", weighs around 145gr, and exits at about 920fps, so it easily shoots through both sides of a piece of paper. Recoil is hardly noticeable - it DOES weigh in at 5 pounds or so, and the dropping loading lever is fixed by cunning use of an elastic band, or by filing an deeper notch of the latch. I use both methods, just to make sure.

9. We were having a chat at the time I was shooting this and we got onto the subject of reloading in a practical situation, i.e. whilst under fire. Chap that owned it demonstrated the ability to remove the cylinder and said what they did was just keep some additional pre-loaded cylinders handy for a quick swap and off they went again. He then said if you ever get to watch Pale Rider, Clint Eastwood, you will see it being done.

Funnily enough, Pale Rider was on the magic box the following week and right enough, there is was in the big gun fight at the end!

Thing is though, if you were a heavy user, is there not a danger of wearing away retaining parts and then having the misfortune of a cylinder coming loose or even dropping out at a very inopportune moment? Although I presume if they were that frequent a user they would be more aware of the maintenance required and repair / replace the necessary parts before that would ever happen.
  10. Yes, I'm familiar with the practice of having a spare cylinder loaded and ready to use - not here in UK though, where each additional cylinder is an entry on your FAC, but in the real world where the only limitatations are the sizes of your pocket nad of your pocket book.

Most of those back in the day, who were 'heavy users' as you call it, would have had a number of pistols, rather than a number of cylinders - many cavalry officers in the WoNA habitually carried four or five loaded revolvers into action. As for maintenance, you van bet your life that those who had to bet THEIR lives on a reliable pistol were more than aware of their inbuilt frailties - a reason why the solid-frame revolvers rapidly replaced the take-apart/fall-apart Colts in fairly short order.

The Remington Army Model of 1858 was a common sight during the WoNA, as were their cuonterparts from Spiller & Burr and others. The modern Ruger Old Army is one such revolver - assuming that the cartridge had never been invented or even thought of, that might well have been THE modern military sidearm today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Remington NMA fed on 40grns of Swiss No2 and a round ball cal .454, 135 grns ish. 40 grns of powder is about max.
    Woke up everyone on the range.

PS The loading lever stays put!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gizzit, gizzit!
  13. Yea, yea ... I knew that .... ;-)
  14. Sorry, RR - not at home right now, but I promise to peek when I open up my pistol safe. And yes, shooting it in Berlin might have been fun, had we been able to get proper BP, but as you know, it's an explosive, and the gentlemen surrounding us were very wary of allowing anything more than regular stuff into Berlin. There WAS the only sub allowed at the time - Pyrodex - but I was never a great fan of it back then, 'sides, as you know, I had a few others with me at that time......:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kay, RR, it's roll-scene itinerant equestrian caucasians having a melée with a group of similarly-mounted indigenous native populants.

Sent from my raspberry @21:11 BST

• Like Like x 1