Colour of ink to denote rank?

At the obvious risk of leaving myself open to comment and criticism along the lines of, get a life, or do you have nothing better to pass the day, I have a question which I am unable to answer.

A couple of years ago a fellow officer passed comment that a colleague wrote all correspondence in green ink (pen and email), which was the incorrect colour for their rank (Major). I vaguely remember him going on to explain the colours but at that stage either I lost interest or had been ripped away to prepare yet another pointless brief.

My question now is can the colours of pen ink denote the rank of the author and, if so, does anyone know the colours for each rank?

I always used green for notes on printed text, accepting that red was for corrections (and didn't survive Xerox) and blue always felt a bit schoolboyish. Unless stuff is circulating at a seriously high level colour is a bit academic.

If you are really bigtime then it is your handwriting that is recognisable - not the colour you use. This used to be the case - the joke was that Hoon couldn't be trusted with ink and so got pencils and a potato stamp.

The Chief of the General Staff writes in green ink. The rest of us should use black. Red ink is used to highlight errors. Purple ink with glitter is used by teenage girls.

Blue - nasty
Black - gooood
Red - for corrections for subordinates submissions.
Green - got swiped at by my CO when I was Adjt for using it. When he worked up town, a variety of 3*s used it and lowly staff didn't!

Still, that was a few years ago and I don't think there is anything official published about it.

Any JSP 101 Nazis about? :thumleft:

elovabloke

ADC
Victorian_Major said:
This used to be the case - the joke was that Hoon couldn't be trusted with ink and so got pencils and a potato stamp.
Might not be a joke. Tom King signed my Warrant in pencil. I presume it was incase he got his name wrong.

Rumour has it that at 45 Cdo:

The CO writes in Green ink , the RSM in Red ink, Officers in blue, Everyone else in Black. just what I heard.

SK

Littlegreen said:
The dark blue are quite keen on colour schemes. The Four-Five rumour is just that. No foundation in reality.

Cheersen

LG
I was told junior officers write in black; senior officers write in red and flag officers write in green. Of course, that was long before these new fangled word processors were invented.

cpunk

LE
Personally, I only use green ink when writing to the Queen, the Prime Minister, newspaper editors etc complaining about the reptile-like life-forms from the constellation Sirius who have infiltrated the Vatican and the United Nations and are seeking world domination. For most other correspondence I simply cut out useful letters and words from newspapers.

Green ink is usually used by Outraged of Surbiton and other unemployable compulsives in writing to their local rag. And Control in Tinker Tailor, writing on a glass backing so that no impression is left on papers below. Control hated everything except Surrey and Lords cricket ground, which probably puts him in the first category.

What utter bolleaux. Write in black ink so that it is legible and copyable. The content, and not the colours, will show the readers your intelligence, or lack thereof, but sadly often not your rank.

I have difficulty believing that officers have time to spend in discussing such utter shite.

cpunk said:
For most other correspondence I simply cut out useful letters and words from newspapers.
I hope you show some class and only cut up the broadsheets. It’s just not done to use the tabloids.