Colour of ink to denote rank?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Modfather, Mar 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the obvious risk of leaving myself open to comment and criticism along the lines of, get a life, or do you have nothing better to pass the day, I have a question which I am unable to answer.

A couple of years ago a fellow officer passed comment that a colleague wrote all correspondence in green ink (pen and email), which was the incorrect colour for their rank (Major). I vaguely remember him going on to explain the colours but at that stage either I lost interest or had been ripped away to prepare yet another pointless brief.

My question now is can the colours of pen ink denote the rank of the author and, if so, does anyone know the colours for each rank?
  2. I always used green for notes on printed text, accepting that red was for corrections (and didn't survive Xerox) and blue always felt a bit schoolboyish. Unless stuff is circulating at a seriously high level colour is a bit academic.

If you are really bigtime then it is your handwriting that is recognisable - not the colour you use. This used to be the case - the joke was that Hoon couldn't be trusted with ink and so got pencils and a potato stamp.
  3. The Chief of the General Staff writes in green ink. The rest of us should use black. Red ink is used to highlight errors. Purple ink with glitter is used by teenage girls.
  4. All of the RAF use crayons....
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Blue - nasty
    Black - gooood
    Red - for corrections for subordinates submissions.
    Green - got swiped at by my CO when I was Adjt for using it. When he worked up town, a variety of 3*s used it and lowly staff didn't!

Still, that was a few years ago and I don't think there is anything official published about it.

Any JSP 101 Nazis about? :thumleft:
  6. and a ruler...
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

and capitals...
  8. ...and the content - utter, utter rubbish. Usually to non-U tabloids like The Hate.
  9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Might not be a joke. Tom King signed my Warrant in pencil. I presume it was incase he got his name wrong.
  10. Is that because they can't be trusted with anything sharp?
  11. Rumour has it that at 45 Cdo:

The CO writes in Green ink , the RSM in Red ink, Officers in blue, Everyone else in Black. just what I heard.

12. The dark blue are quite keen on colour schemes. The Four-Five rumour is just that. No foundation in reality.

13. I was told junior officers write in black; senior officers write in red and flag officers write in green. Of course, that was long before these new fangled word processors were invented.
  14. German army all Commanders write in Green, all COS write in Red, onward to Paris!
  15. Generals = Green

Colonels (Full and Lt) = Red

Mere Mortals = Black / Crayon

...I think!