Colour Blindness?

Discussion in 'REME' started by smellywelly, Aug 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. post removed

2. You can't really do Electronics tech with poor colour perception. Too many electronic components are marked with a colour code to give their value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code

3. Shocking if they make the wrong connections on that mains generator!

Litotes

4. There speaks the voice of an educated man!

If you know so much about the trade involved, then why not advise him yourself instead of asking others and then refusing to believe their answers.

I believe the electronics course involves practical application of electronic component replacement techniques, should he be exempt this due to his colour perception?

Unfortunately, CP is a medical requirement for the course and the trade so there seems little option available to him but to accept a trade to which his "medical condition" is not a barrier.

5. I transferred to REME as an electronics tech and it wasn't until my end of phase 2 medical that it was noticed on my docs my CP was 4. I passed the course without any major drama's and am now in Germany at my first unit.

6. IIRC, there is a whole swathe of trades that require good colour perception, and they tend to be the more technical trades.

But that doesn't mean that those trades that don't require good colour perception are **** jobs. All trades are important in the Army and someone has to do them!

Litotes

7. ask himif can read this.

nah forget it im to much of a colour blind mong to make it work.

8. You don't really know what you are talking about do you? While I will grant you that component level work is done less often now than when I was first learning that trade, I am sure it still happens. Also, if you had read the article for comprehension you would have noticed that cables are also colour coded.

Hey-ho.

9. I had the same problem, ende up still joining REME, cause lovthe corps, but had to be a Technical Norman, has worked out in the end though. Love my job, now I'm an all singing all dancing TSS.

10. Yes, and better that it was discovered at this stage rather than some point in the future - at least now your mate knows where the goalposts are and can select a trade he can do rather than face heartache deep into training.

11. Every job in the Army has a Colour Perception standard.
    The perceptions are 1, 2, 3 and 4.

In Sutton Coldfield and selection at ACIOs after it was closed there were job specification pages with amongst other things the colour perception required.

All of the Army trades that required work on electrics such as electronics tech and vehicle electrician were CP2. Armourers were CP3 with many other jobs as CP4.

The specs might now be on a computer but the medical standards are probably very similar some years later.

12. So what are you classing as sh!t jobs? As Litotes say's all trades are equally important and needed, just because you/your mate can't go Technician doesn't mean every other trade is a sh!t one.