Colour Blindness and Transfering - FR2020

Empty_Vacuum

Old-Salt
Because of FR2020 my unit is being re-capbadged from Inf to AAC. At first I was sceptical, but over time I have come to accept the fact that this new opportunity has potential. In all the excitment (perhaps the wrong word) and form filling I have forgotten about my colour blindness. The doctor when I joined up (all those years ago) classed me as CP4, although I didn't challenge this by asking to do the lantern test.

As an Inf JNCO this hasn't caused me any problems, however I can't help but wonder that this might be a problem as AAC groundcrew? So my question is: does anyone on here know what the colour perception requirement is for this new role, and would it affect my transfer?

- Before anyone tells me to use the search function, I have and the results are somewhat dated. Before anyone tells me to ask my unit, I have and they don't know. I thought I'd turn to ARRSE to get an answer earlier than waiting till the actual transfer date, so that I can start to prepare my back up plan.

E

EScotia

According to PAP 10 Table 2 (Minimum Medical Standards for Entry to the Army , by Arm and Employment - Soldiers) it is CP 2.

Empty_Vacuum

Old-Salt
So in other words I'm f***ed. Ah well, looks like I'm going to have leave the Reserve, seeing as the only other nearby unit is MI (also requires CP2).

Cheers anyway.

E

EScotia

I wouldn't jump too soon, transitional arrangements may well be put in place. Besides, are their no other cap badges you could transfer to within your TAC e.g. RLC, REME, Medic?

If you aren't sure discuss the make-up of the unit with your PSAO and ask what cap badges are on the 8005 (Establishment of the unit) as you may consider transferring to stay with the unit.

M

Mr_Logic

So in other words I'm f***ed. Ah well, looks like I'm going to have leave the Reserve, seeing as the only other nearby unit is MI (also requires CP2).

Cheers anyway.
Where are you based? Presumably Milton Keynes, Taunton or Portsmouth?

As an Inf NCO and a regular attender, you may well find that many units will accept you. Some may 'overlook' the colour-blindness issue or be happy to retest in order to be able to accept you. You may also find that the training and OTX opportunities with other capbadges are worth staying in for. Have you got any instructional qualifications or completed any tours?

Where are you based? Presumably Milton Keynes, Taunton or Portsmouth?

As an Inf NCO and a regular attender, you may well find that many units will accept you. Some may 'overlook' the colour-blindness issue or be happy to retest in order to be able to accept you. You may also find that the training and OTX opportunities with other capbadges are worth staying in for. Have you got any instructional qualifications or completed any tours?
i am red/green color blind slightly and am wondering if i can still join the infantry

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In these days of political correctness I thought colour blindness was compulsory?

Last edited: