Colonial Ammunition

Discussion in 'RLC' started by ooooh_matron, Jul 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for the ammo geeks perhaps?

Back in the good ol' days of killing anyone who got in our way, I believe we manufactured .303 ammunition with expanding bullets. By all accounts on the box was written 'not for use against white Christians'.

If anyone has a link to an article, or better still a photograph of the ammunition and the box that would be mega.

2. Not that I was around when .303 was in vogue but I've never heard of that one.
  3. I believe it was in use during the Boer War. I found this account about 'Mark IV' .303 ammunition:
    Interestingly, it was also militia units in Britain that had brought to light problems with the Mark
    IV .303 inch ammunition which had caused its withdrawal just prior to the start of the Boer
    War. This was an expanding round and under conditions of excessive heat where dirt was
    present in the weapon the lead core tended to squirt through the small aperture in the nickel
    jacket of the round, leaving the jacket in the barrel. When the next round was chambered this
    led to a blow-back in the breech.

While arguing that the Regular Army had not had this problem because they kept their rifles
    cleaner than the militia, the War Office rightly concluded that even Regular troops might have
    problems avoiding excessive heat and dirt in wartime and withdrew the round. The Elgin
    Report stated categorically that it was not the Hague Convention's ban on expanding rounds
    which caused the withdrawal of the Mark IV round in the late summer of 1899 (the four million
    rounds already sent out to South Africa were withdrawn on 17 October 1899). The result was
    that around 66 million rounds of the 172 million stock of .303 inch ammunition were withdrawn
    just prior to the commencement of hostilities with the Boer republics, leading to a crisis in
    stocks. For a while the situation was considered dangerous, but the required ammunition was
    in fact despatched to South Africa. This was despite grave concerns about the stocks
    available for home defence and fears that in the event of war with a European power, the
    British would have had no option but 'to fight them with expanding bullets'
  4. You may have been in the Boer war you boring cúnt, but your link doesn't provide the photo I requested. Get back in your box and try to impress someone else with your phenomenal wiki linking.
  5. which you should learn to use

MkIV and MkVII 303 rounds, the Mk VII round would also appear to be a soft point which may be incorrectly Identified could be civilian or a MKV round

Attached Files:

6. I wish someone would shoot Tropper through his typing fingers with .303 expanding ammunition.
  7. Bet I have owned more 303s than you cnut
  8. Of course you have because you are an Elevenerife ******.

Other than that, I ******* love you Gumbo.
  9. I do wish someone would put him out of our misery.
  10. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I seem to remember about someone specifying square bullets against Turks and round bullets against Christians. I will have to do some looking around and see if I can find out more.
  11. Cheers. By all accounts the ammunition was deemed 'unfit for use against white adversaries'. I'm still having a go at finding a free copy of 'The use of the Dum Dum bullet in colonial warfare' in The Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History Volume 4, Issue 1, 1975.
    By all accounts it's described in there, but I'm not spending £24 on it!
  12. I recall purchasing two boxes of soft-nosed .303 ammunition for my late father's Mauser actioned Rigby, from a rather good gunshop in Sussex sometime in the early 90s.
    The 20 round boxes were commercially made [I forget what trade name] with a predominantly yellow box with a red band around the top.
    The rounds had a lead tip that 'topped' the standard copper not nickel jacket.
    The rounds were rounded off, not like Tropper's 'pointy' ones above.
    Unfortunately when I moved out East I had to dispose of the 303 along with a Jeffreys 404.
    However, I still have some doppies, now whether they are from those rounds purchased in Sussex
    or, ancient Pak ball rounds I cannot confirm, I'm sure someone into ballistics will correct me.
    BTW The soft-nosed rounds had no such warnings about who or what they could be used for shooting at!
    If ever such a warning existed - it sounds to me as though it would have come post 2nd Afghan War, and for using them on kaffirs [unbelievers - Kaffiristan, Afghanistan].

Puckle gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

do try to keep up............!

The War office has always had its head well up it's arse ammunition. I believe that even as late as the Gallipoli fiasco naval .303 and Army .303 were incompatible!

Does anyone else here remember the Indian 9mm fiasco. You could throw them further!

And chain gun, just don't get me started on chain gun ammo.................
  14. It's never been against the law to use expanding rounds for civilian purposes. In fact in many countries it's against the law not to use them for hunting, If I were caught using FMJ rounds for
    game I would face loss of licence and a very large fine in Germany!