Colonel Tim Collins - The RAF should be abolished

The First Post is running an article by Colonel Tim Collins. In it he outlines his argument for the abolition of the RAF.
The full article can be found here
The First Post
Any one with any opinion on this??!!

mazoldboy said:
The First Post is running an article by Colonel Tim Collins. In it he outlines his argument for the abolition of the RAF.
The First Post
Is he trying to suggest the Army have it's own Air Wing like the US Marines have and fly there own harriers??

india-juliet said:
mazoldboy said:
The First Post
Is he trying to suggest the Army have it's own Air Wing like the US Marines have and fly there own harriers??
Their own Harriers, right?

india-juliet said:
mazoldboy said:
The First Post
He says in the article

"There is only one service whose work can be undertaken by the other two: the RAF must go."

C

cloudbuster

Sounds like Tim's had some bad experiences at the hands of RAFP and movers. It hasn't hit Pprune's Mil forum yet, should cause a stir.

What is he blathering on about? Yes I know we like to zip over to PPrune and wind up Crabair on this issue, but does anyone seriously want the Royal Air Force disbanded?

What was the brief? "Come on Tim, write something controversial"? I'd suggest Sir, we've more than enough subjects that could be written on paying attention to the state of the Army, rather than diluting the pressing issues with a slap at the Light Blue?

Personally,I think this takes us in the direction of "Canadian Defence Forces".

mazoldboy said:
The First Post
So, abolish the RAF to employ a similar number of people in the Army/RN to do the work the RAF used to do - at considerable cost for change. Why not just keep the RAF?

He's starting to lose it.

C

cloudbuster

OTOH, with the fun and games that they're having beta-testing JPA, perhaps the RAF will simply implode.

Why is it such an unreasonble idea? What does the RAF do that is unique?

We dont for example have a seperate service for transport, or for armoured vehicles, or for the medical services. Why not simply hand all strike craft over to the Army, they're basically long ranged flying "artillery", air to air being air defence, and C130/C17's being transport.

Nimrod being naval assets

Joking aside, his proposal just wouldn't work for reasons that have been discussed many times on this forum.

Merging forces was tried by the Canadians, and it was disastrous on many levels, not least that individuals retained their loyalty to their original service.

It's a shame to see someone whose opinions I generally respect coming out with such drivel.

Tim Collins said:
We can't function without an army or navy, but we can manage without the RAF.
And we seem to be managing very well without Col Collins, too.

I think its a good idea. The RAF is proof that strategy follows structure. Their cfocus on strategic bombing nearly cost us WW" thanks to the neglect of coastal command and close air support ;)

Formation of the RAF - Jan Smuts' revenge on the British - clearly the biggest April Fools joke in history:)

I've been saying it for years. What does the RAF do that the other services can't? Strategic Air lift and that's about it.

Send the Whirley bladed lot to the army and the fixed wing thingy's to the Navy and retain some under (probably the Navy) for the Strategic air bit. The rest go in the bin.

Job done.

B

Biscuits_AB

Given that the RAF isn't quite a century old and that it was spawned by the RFC and the Navy, why shouldn't it be brought back to where it rightfully belongs. They would benefit greatly. The RAF Regt could be easily fill the empty Inf places and their fast jet jockeys could learn so much from the Navy, who after all are the best there is in that field. Teeny Weeny Airways have got loads of hangar space for the units which would be formerly known as 3 and 18 Sqns. The RAF Police could show those muppets in then MPGF and MGS a thing or two about stagging on. We could split the Techies and Loggies between us.
And their Med Services could be spread around as well (Have you seen some of their nurses? Happy Days).

It's not a bad idea and I'm sure that in recent years they've collected enough CS 95 between them for us not to worry about kitting them out.

B

Biscuits_AB

Stab Tiffy.......Strategic Airlift could go to the RLC. It's no mystery. You can shift loads of MFO in a Herc. Couple of Fijiian Drivers can do a conversion from DROPS to C 130 in about a fortnight.

Latest Threads