Colonel Terry Scriven RMP Retd, Lib Dem PPC New Forest

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is an interesting one...

Tory Julian Lewis is fighting retired RMP colonel Terry Scriven for re-election to the New Forest constituency. But Doctor Lewis has complained about Colonel Scriven using his rank on the ballot papers and posters.

(see the BBC website)

As I recall, officers of the rank of Major and above are allowed to retain the rank after retirement, and this is extended to Captains as a courtesy or something like that. (where's a barrack-room lawyer when you need one?)

Bit rich of Dr Lewis...he's not a 'proper' doctor anyway.... :twisted:

2. This man is quality i knew of him back in the 80's in Germany and he was a first class soldier who cared and did his duty and never forgot his oath- i wish him well.

3. I don't know, to me the idea of continuing to use a rank once you've left smacks of insecurity.

*pedant hat on* :D And people holding PhDs are proper doctors - it's the people who treat you in hospital that hold a qualification that is the equivalent of a humble masters degree who aren't proper doctors :D

Although tbh, I hold pretty much the same feeling on people who use their PhD title outside of a professional context (except for maybe bank, driving license etc, where it may give some advantage for insurance/credit purposes).

Edited for Bamber(Phil) comma usage.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

He was a monkey, how did that make him a soldier? :twisted: Mostly they were known as tw@ts.

5. To be fair, any rank of this or higher, is something I would expect to be carried over, its not always an easy thing to obtain.

Its the types who still like to be called captain or Lt that grip my shite.

6. Weren't he and his wife 'allegedly' on a nice little earner when he 'introduced' compulsory NVQs to the RMP? I seem to recall that his wife was employed by the 'service provider'.

Last time this subject was broached on ARRSE he complained and had the thread removed. Never denied it though, so I'm led to believe.

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I don't have any problem with a Col using his title on retirement as long as he holds to the niceties of the (Retd) bit after his name. Quite within his right to do so. I see no reason for the insecurity comment.

Aren't we supposed to be proud of our achievements within the Forces? :?

8. Yes we are Pte, now make the brews pissboy ;)

9. I served with Terry Scrivens in NI (Blair's Yard) in 77, thought he was a good guy who cared for his soldiers.

10. Knew him. He was strict and straight laced, but at least he was competent and consistent - and he would fight your corner even when it did him no favours with his own superiors. Can't imagine what's gripped his sh*t enough to make him want to enter the political arena, but I wish him luck. He'd get my vote.

11. if Tory boy says something outside of Parliament i'll be impressed, but for the momment it looks like mud slinging to me.

trotsky

12. Must be two Terry Scrivens ex RMP then.

13. After 25 yrs in the army (Maritime) I had the good furtune to get into HM Coastguard. Had a couple of navy officers came into the job and tried to maintain their titles. I personally had a bit of respect as kindred spirit but my merchant navy and professional collegues were not impressed. New job,new reality. In my intake and despite being a wetback,stlll came top of the course. But must admit hearing we (MCA) have got a retired Second Sea Lord taking over as Chief Executive is a real move forward. Proper sailor. K'in matelots!

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why "Colonel"? Col Scrivens RMP (Retd) is entitled to use his rank, in the same way that I can use my post nominals (but choose not to - and mine aren't gallantry awards).

Bratty fingers strike again...