Colonel sacked for rebuke over visits to injured

This is worthy of reproduction...I will leave it to more informed correspondents to comment!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/07/nmod207.xml

Colonel sacked for rebuke over visits to injured
By Sean Rayment, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:29am GMT 07/01/2007

A high-flying Army officer has been sacked for rebuking a senior commander who failed to visit injured troops in hospital.

Col Julian Clover, 43, was dismissed from his post as a staff officer at the Army's Land Command headquarters after clashing with his superior over the need for senior officers to visit troops injured in Afghanistan and Iraq at the Selly Oak hospital in Birmingham.

His sacking has sent shock waves through Land Command, the biggest Army headquarters in Britain, and has raised concerns that some senior officers are "out of touch" with the concerns of the rank and file.

Since the middle of November, Col Clover, who had commanded an infantry battalion in Iraq and was awarded an operational MBE in the 2000 honours list, has been on "gardening leave" at his home in Dorset. He has also served in many operational theatres and undertaken some of the most demanding jobs in the military.

Col Clover, who is married with children and earns about £70,000 a year, has invoked the Army's grievance procedure and is claiming that he was unfairly dismissed.

Details of the sacking come four months after this newspaper revealed that injured troops were being forced to recover from their wounds on mixed public wards. Several of the injured had lost limbs or had been paralysed while fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq in the past few months.

In the wake of the public outcry that followed the report, defence chiefs decided that a senior officer of brigadier level should visit the hospital every week to ensure that troops were receiving the best possible care.

Brig Bruce Brealey, 47, who had previously served in the Royal Artillery, was on a rota of senior officers who had been asked to visit Selly Oak hospital in November to check up on the soldiers' welfare and to deal with any complaints they might have. It is understood, however, that before he was due to travel to the hospital he delegated the visit to Col Clover, who at the time was an assistant chief of staff with responsibility for media operations at the headquarters.

After visiting the hospital, Col Clover had a meeting with Brig Brealey in which he expressed his view in a "forthright and uncompromising manner" that it was not acceptable for senior officers to delegate the responsibility of visiting injured troops to junior officers. The two officers were known by colleagues to have had a difficult working relationship.

Two days later, Col Clover was called into the brigadier's office and told that their professional relationship was "unworkable" and that steps were being taken to remove the colonel from his post.

It is understood that Col Clover was originally sacked for "inefficiency and unsuitability of a blameworthy nature". The Sunday Telegraph has learnt, however, that the colonel was given no formal warning of his "failings" and is seeking to have the ruling changed to "unsuitability of a non-blameworthy nature", which, according to defence sources, would have little effect on his Army career.

A senior officer who knows both men said that Col Clover has spent most of his military career planning and conducting "unconventional operations".

The officer said: "He is very bright, very tough and interested in results. He comes from a select community within the military who are used to calling a spade a spade. If he felt something needed to be said, he would say it. I know he would care passionately about soldiers. By contrast, Brig Brealey is a "process" man, who believed that rules are there to be followed. It was a clash of personalities."

Despite being briefed on the full facts surrounding the sacking of Col Clover, the Ministry of Defence refused to comment.

mmmmmmmmm

It sounds to me like Brig Bruce Brealey deserves and is lined up for, a good old fashioned media 'monstering', something that no amount of walting around staff college will have prepared him for.

Brearly appears to suffer from triple-S (sloping shoulders syndrome)
Bruce, you may delegate, but you can not abrogate.
shame on you!

Very unfortunate. Coloenl Clover seems to be an outstanding officer who has been wronged by Brigadier Brealey and one would hope that the powers that be at Land Command would reverse course and reassign Clover to duties fitting his rank and experience.

Shame when a Brigadier General has to be reminded that visiting his wounded troops is not a job but an honor.

Said one star is probably a hack and a political appointee. He should be charged with conduct unbecoming an officer and thrown into the darkest cell in the brig.

How obvious that this was his duty? If in doubt, the Brigadier could have phoned one of the staff (as in Platoon type - yes Staff!) at RMAS. They would undoubtedly have explained his responsibilities in a clear, forthright and robust manner - Sir!

I actually find this story incredible as most Brigadiers I have dealt with have at least the political common sense to do this sort of thing although they should be doing it from a sense of honour and duty.

Incidentally the new Government spall chacker lacks the following words

Honour, Duty, Honesty, Integrity

Anybody think of any more?

The officer said: "He is very bright, very tough and interested in results. He comes from a select community within the military who are used to calling a spade a spade. If he felt something needed to be said, he would say it. I know he would care passionately about soldiers. By contrast, Brig Brealey is a "process" man, who believed that rules are there to be followed. It was a clash of personalities."
[/quote]

Finally, an Officer with the balls to support the troops, tries to do the right thing and gets slapped down!

Sir, thank you for trying to do the right thing. Good luck with the fight!

Brig Brealey.......... "Do you think that your attitude and anyone who thinks like you may be the reason with have unhappy troops who feel a real lack of support and failing support from other quarters. Sit in your office Sir and FFS don't speak to any soldiers..........especially injured ones, you will only do more harm!"

Maybe the Brig was only following the example of the Illustrious Prime Minister ,Tony B. Liar ? I dont think Teflon Tony even knows where the hospital is.

OldTimer said:
Maybe the Brig was only following the example of the Illustrious Prime Minister ,Tony B. Liar ? I dont think Teflon Tony even knows where the hospital is.
I know I could have dreamed it but didn't he visit there recently, just after going to Hereford

Sven said:
OldTimer said:
I know I could have dreamed it but didn't he visit there recently, just after going to Hereford
That was nice of him, after all the war started in 2003

drain_sniffer said:
Sven said:
OldTimer said:
That was nice of him, after all the war started in 2003
Quite

I was just letting Oltimer know that Blair does in fact know where Selly Oak is

Has Cameron visited the wounded, as a matter of interest??

Julian Clover - cracking bloke and a soldiers soldier - seems like the Brig is a bit of a cnut. Good luck Colonel.

Am I the only one on ARRSE who would not vote LibDem/Liabor because it's percieved as supported by people like "Sven [I'm so far up my own Arrsehole I cannot see reality]the tw@t"?

Brearly - He is a gunner, need we say more? Obviously trying to follow in the footsteps of that other odious gunner Raper who singlehandedly caused the DLO to fail its 4* IiP accreditation. The Assessors thought hs staff were telling jokes when they told them about him throwing folders, briefs and all amnner of things back at them if he didn't like the content.

Col Clover - Sir, if the media reports are true, congratulations for having the moral courage to tell the idiot what leadership and being an Officer is about.

If the content of this story is to be believed then Brearly's resignation should be requested. Not due to the clearly 'unworkable' relationship that developed between him and Clover. But because he shirked his fundamental responsibilites to visit wounded soldiers. WHere would this sloping of responsibility ended? If every man delegated to his juniors finally the duty driver would have paraded at Selly Oak notebook in hand.

Brealy = tw@t

cpunk

LE
armchair_jihad said:
It sounds to me like Brig Bruce Brealey deserves and is lined up for, a good old fashioned media 'monstering', something that no amount of walting around staff college will have prepared him for.
As ye sow, so shall ye reap!

Can't think what Bruce Brealey has ever done to 'Walt' about, though.

As an ex-gunner I must sadly state that I am not surprised.

Something happens to Gunners when they become majors. At some stage on the BCs course at Larkhill they are given a choice: do you want to reach senior rank or have fun but eventually retire a Lt Col? Those who choose the latter are allowed to crack on. Those desiring high command are taken into a secret room and have their personalities removed and their brains reformatted, turning once up-for-anything FOOs into utter cnuts.

There are the odd exceptions where the formatting fails to catch or erase the old character. Notable examples are Lt Gen Freddy Viggers, FM the Lord Vincent, and a couple of others whose names are not yet public. A senior gunner with a sense of humour and a life are rare beasts!

Dread

PS I know from the above text it would appear that I am a General, but in fact I am a retired Captain.

I have had the honour(??) of working with said Brigadier a number of years ago. This does not surprise me in the slightest..

First post for me. I have worked with the good Col Clover many moons ago - outstanding, inspirational leader who takes no prisoners. Good skills in outing a Brigadier.