Colonel Ovens Gloves.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by guest876, Jul 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am interested to know something regarding the gloves pictured, they have come to light in a house in London although they once belonged to an Irish Colonel who served in the first world war.

The inscription on the top of the case reads:-

R . M . OVENS
    2nd BATT . SOUTH . STAFFORDSHIRE REGT

the number printed inside the glove looks like VT3268, if someone has an hour or so to kill and a interest in doing the history the owner would be happy to know about the gloves and Colonel Ovens.

He is also Irish and would like the gloves to be returned to a descendant or if not to a museum, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Robert Montgomery Ovens 222 Brigade Commander

was Brig General medal index card has an address in Donegall will see what else there is on him

3. He was MID Twice

Mentioned in dispatches 17.02.15 London Gazette Pg 1664 and again 01.01.16 London Gazette Pg 44

4. Found More

Robert Montgomery Ovens, a fiery red-headed Irishman and a fine officer.

Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1914 and again in 1915. Born 3 July 1868, second son of John Coote Ovens JP, of Aughnagaddy House, Killybegs, County Donegal. Educated at Westward House, and RMC Sandhurst. Joined the Army in 1889, rising to Lt Col commanding the Battalion in 1913. Married in 1910, to Beatrice Clibborn, of Liverpool. They had three daughters. During the course of the war, he was wounded (at the First Battle of Ypres), Mentioned in Despatches three times, awarded the CMG and Order of St Stanislas of Russia 3rd Class. He was made Temporary Brigadier-General, from 1916. After the war, he became, in succession, DAAG Musketry, Station Staff Officer 1st Class, and then a Brigade Major in India. He died in December 1950, when a resident of Mytchett, Aldershot.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Those have a vaguely masonic look about them.

6. Hi I was trying to find my great grand father Colonel Ovens and came across this site I wondered if any one has any new info regarding him