Colonel Collins tells it how it was.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by lsquared, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Col Collins, late R IRISH, has (on Radio 4) just savaged Blair and by implication assorted Defence Secretaries, civil servants and, AND, the CDS and the CGS at the time of the illegal invasion of Iraq.

The charge he levied at the 'Top Brass' was that of obsequiousness.

The complete lack of planning post invasion and the squashing by the C o C of any initiative by units and individuals were additional charges made by Col Collins.

In a just world this officer's 'evidence' would be sufficient to condemn Blair and assorted lackeys to many years imprisonment for war crimes and crimes of maladministration and dereliction of duty.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Funny, that's the very fist time I've heard him say anything remotely like it. How come I never heard him say that when he was in the job?

Bit late now he's getting an income from the 'speaking' circuit rather than the fighting one eh?

3. The "We were only following orders" line doesn't wash anymore if he had such doubts he should've acted on them then.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Does the L of D have a new book coming out? Or are the lucrative speaking and 'leadership seminar'-type opportunities drying up a bit?

5. Have to agree with this comment. The conspiracy of silence from senior officers throughout TELIC to tell the politicians how it really was, appeared pretty much universal, irrespective of the rousing speeches. Interestingly, of the "strong words spoken with conviction", witnessed the US in theatre far more willing to speak up.

It's all pretty academic now, although Collins' comments in relation to the lack of post-war planning, really make you wonder how far up the CoC you have to be, in order to have your voice heard?

llech's comment is on the money.

Anyway, in other news...

6. I was wondering what had happened to the 'Leprechaun of Death'. Does he have a new book coming out soon?

7. Let's face it, without Blair's war, nobody would have ever HEARD of Col Collins. He should be grateful to the Dear Leader for enabling him to make himself into the "celeb" that he has managed to become...

Presumably this outburst is just aimed at keeping himself in the headlines.

8. Standby for incoming complaint from 'himself' and subsequent thread removal. The 'wee fella' doesn't like people talking about him. Bejabbers.

9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Don't you be dissin' de leprechaun, to be sure, to be sure, to be sure. De diddly dee. So it is.

10. He was one short scary wee bastard - had everyone above the rank of LCpl shitting themselves. Good CO though.

11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Ah young Timmy......the impetuosity of youth. The Leprechaun of Death that's great I hope I bump into him in a lift again soon.

12. I see your "de diddly dee" and raise you a slack handfull of "too ra loo, ra loo's"...so I do, to be sure:

YouTube - The Dubliners - The British Army

13. Great...if you want your NCOs and Officers to do as you say because they are scared of you.

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

And there we all were thinking Telic was a masterpiece of planning and efficiency.

15. Amazing how these guys all come crawling out of the woodwork once the pension/title/top job is secured.

As ABrighter 2006 say's why not speak up at the time ?

No doubt all will be explained in a "new" book very shortly.