Colombian Special Forces to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Chief_Joseph, Aug 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Colombia has been a recipient of massive US aid - especially in the miltary field - for years.

So no arm-twisting there then....
  2. That's why it makes sense ;)
  3. Good on 'em.

Its good to see someone actually willing to help out in afgan for once!
  4. The reality is that even with US hand-holding the capability they will bring is zero.

They will continually pester COMISAF or RC(S) to be let off the leash and doing so would produce more problems than cures.

Unfortunately ISAF has too many 'Special' Forces callsigns from minor nations whose capability is less than any UK infantry battalion. Stamping thier feet like petulant children stating that they do Offensive Action on their own countries does not cut the mustard.

It's a good story for the Columbians though, but their net effect will be nil.
  5. Are they buying, or selling?
  6. Not to be sniffed at!
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

This sort of realistic view of events will never lead to a career in politics you know.
  8. I also forgot to cite the example of the 'Special Needs' callsign from a Baltic State who, two years ago, when let off the leash managed to brass up a US FOB.

Fortunately nobody was KIA, but it could have been worse. It couldn't have been more inept.
  9. Tap, tap, tap.... snuuueeeerrrrfffff...

Sorry, what were you saying?
  10. So Columbia's finest take on the Afghan drug lords. Will the winner be playing the Jamaican Defence force in the finals?
  11. Just what Afghanistan needs. A surge of cocaine and coffee.
  12. Callsigns?! We don' need no steenkin' callsigns! :twisted:
  13. From my experiences with foreign armies you've pretty much spoken the truth with perhaps one caveat here for the Colombians. They've had that one thing that does matter; combat experience in their own particularly nasty internal war.
  14. If they take out all the drug czars and middle men, who is going to buy the local poppy crop the average poor Afghani farmers produce.
    I thought the only reason it hadn,t been destroyed was because it would leave the local farmers with no income for that particular year, thus driving the farmers into the arms of the taliban.
    Why can't Western Governments buy their produce for morphine.
    Why aren't afghan farmers subsidised to grow wheat so they can compete on world markets. I can't find the link, but I do remember reading that due to trade embargos etc EU will not import goods from Afghanistan.
    If our troops are there to stabilise the nation, building secure roads, enabling local farmers to get their goods to market has to be a start.
    Also it would be a help if they had market to sell it. Hello eu, here's a chance to fcuk over another country by giving it favorable trading terms.