Collectivley....we have done it

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DodgerH, Dec 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don Touhig MP for Veterans has stated The Last Tommy..WILL get a state funeral.

Well done to everybody who wrote to the MPs and others.
  2. Outstanding, is there a link anywhere.
  3. There may be a link on the Sun newspaper site,that is where i read it this morning.

Still.....its GREAT NEWS that the Last Tommy will be honoured this way.
  4. I missed the effort this or else i would have signed up fantastic effort by all those that did.

Well done all
  5. Well done, just what he deserves too, and I bet he wonders what all the fuss is about!.................
  6. Brilliant news. :D :D

Lets hope T B-liar Does not get the credit :cry:
  7. Excellent news! Thanks for the link, the_guru.

8. Well done all.

However, lets wait until we see a brief put out by the MoD confirming a full state funeral for the last Tommy before we let our collective boots off the necks of those in charge.
  9. 'Kin Brilliant news!

Now sit back and watch the politician scumbags jump on the bandwagon and fight over the limelight....
  10. Quite right. Bear in mind the Sun will have been following the thread and you will note that the piece is headed 'Exclusive' when, in fact, Don Touhig's response was posted on ARSSE about a week ago. (It's always a slow time in newsrooms over the Christmas period. Correspondents normally have to file a couple of 'hold-over' stories before they head off on leave: stories that can be slipped in whenever required and are not desperately time-sensitive.)

Also beware of selective quotes. The Sun piece says "Veterans’ minister Don Touhig signalled the move in a letter to an MP.

He said the passing of old soldiers "should be marked in an appropriate manner". "

This does not mean it has been agreed, just that the matter is still being considered, and who knows what this gobment understands to be 'an appropriate manner'.
  11. Now lets see if we can get those brave guys who were shot at dawn a posthumous pardon, it is criminal what was done to those guys, nothing less than a war crime really. I'll be chuffed if there is a proper state funeral for the Last Tommy, I also suggest some sort of monumental P*ss up afterwards to drink a toast to that brave and undervalued generation! (I get the feeling they would appreciate that more!)
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I saw it on Sky News this morning & the newsreaders also thought that it's a worth cause.
  13. Great news!
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice one, all.