Collective Funeral?

#1
I've just seen on the news about loads of people (2000?) going to the funeral of the Liverpool lad who got shot. Sure I think it is a terrible thing and I would pass my condolences to his family but I pose 2 questions:

1) Why does this not happen for every man or woman coming home from Iraq or Stan in a coffin?
2) Would it be possible (with the permission of the deceased soldiers family) to organise a large collective funeral for the people who died out there?
 

Bugly

War Hero
#2
Mazur_UK said:
I've just seen on the news about loads of people (2000?) going to the funeral of the Liverpool lad who got shot. Sure I think it is a terrible thing and I would pass my condolences to his family
It's a manufactured collective grief, like placing flowers, leaving messages and paying "respect". Hyped up by the media it's the done thing. The hyped outpourings of grief when Diana died was the start of it, the collective hysteria was sickening.
 
#3
Bugly said:
Mazur_UK said:
I've just seen on the news about loads of people (2000?) going to the funeral of the Liverpool lad who got shot. Sure I think it is a terrible thing and I would pass my condolences to his family
It's a manufactured collective grief, like placing flowers, leaving messages and paying "respect". Hyped up by the media it's the done thing. The hyped outpourings of grief when Diana died was the start of it, the collective hysteria was sickening.
Yeh same for people like Steve Irwin. Literally I knew people who went from saying he was the most annoying person on TV to him being their secret idol.
 
#4
And when, pray, did it become the norm to applaud at fecking funerals?

"Well done that corpse, good drills"
 
#5
IIRC old Boris (or Saint Boris of Henley on Thames) raised the point that our Scouse cousins do love the collective grief thing.

Note I'm not having a go at Merseysiders but this has been hyped by the meeja like nobody's business.

I note the Bishop went on about the poor little sod being a beacon of light to the community when the plod can't get a decent witness because people are too scared to testify in court.

AGain, nowt against the residents of Croxteth Green but the gang members need sorting. 48 hrs of martial law anyone?
 
#6
No doubt I'll be condemned to Hell for this, but I had to mute the volume when the 10 o'clock news covered the funeral - I couldn't bear to hear another "Liverpool has lost..." or "Liverpool stands together..." comment.

By all means support the family, but the collective grief thing really is nauseating.
 
#7
CS is right, if "the community" thought anything of him, his killer would now be known.

Words are cheap, and actions speak much louder anyway.
 
#8
Too many "crocodile tears" for my liking - all fuelled by media hype. I'm not one to advocate mob rule/justice, but reflect that in other communities (e.g. NI) the perpretrator(s) would probably have been sorted by now...
 
#10
Mazur_UK said:
I've just seen on the news about loads of people (2000?) going to the funeral of the Liverpool lad who got shot. Sure I think it is a terrible thing and I would pass my condolences to his family but I pose 2 questions:

1) Why does this not happen for every man or woman coming home from Iraq or Stan in a coffin?
2) Would it be possible (with the permission of the deceased soldiers family) to organise a large collective funeral for the people who died out there?
Sometimes it does happen: Farewell to a 'legend'
 
#11
Yep shame for the family and relatives/close friends but every other fooker needs to find their own band wagon or disappear under what ever insignificant rock they crawled from.

You wouln't see the same people for sh!t if it were a traffic warden knocked over in Tesco's carpark (unless they were lining up to try the new speed bump before the council carted the body away)
 
#13
Bugly said:
It's a manufactured collective grief, like placing flowers, leaving messages and paying "respect". Hyped up by the media it's the done thing. The hyped outpourings of grief when Diana died was the start of it, the collective hysteria was sickening.
There are a collection of online condolence threads on arrse as well as many threads containing countless posts of "RIP" from strangers on an internet forum........ is this any different?
 
#14
still21inmymind said:
And when, pray, did it become the norm to applaud at fecking funerals?

"Well done that corpse, good drills"
I'll clap my hands, cheer, whoop and jump up and down when Dubya curls up his hobbit type feet.
 
#15
Cait said:
There are a collection of online condolence threads on arrse as well as many threads containing countless posts of "RIP" from strangers on an internet forum........ is this any different?
I think so, because we're not saying "ARRSE has lost...!" "ARRSE will never be the same again...!" "ARRSErs have been pulled closer together by this loss...!"

It's not the people turning out to the funeral who give the sense of distaste, it's the fact that people come out with spurious comments such as "Liverpool is suffering!"
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#16
DozyBint said:
Cait said:
There are a collection of online condolence threads on arrse as well as many threads containing countless posts of "RIP" from strangers on an internet forum........ is this any different?
I think so, because we're not saying "ARRSE has lost...!" "ARRSE will never be the same again...!" "ARRSErs have been pulled closer together by this loss...!"

It's not the people turning out to the funeral who give the sense of distaste, it's the fact that people come out with spurious comments such as "Liverpool is suffering!"
I bet Tony 'Crying man' Blair is upset. Really upset that he is no longer Prime Minister and therefor cannot go to this soprt of thing any more. He would have made such a caring and touching speech, with that fetching little catch in his voice, as he spoke sbout the 'tragic loss of this child, the "people's child"'
I am desperately sorry for the parents, and for the needless death of a young boy, but if there is a bandwagon, then many people will jump on it. Whatever happened to dignity? To a families private grief?

And why bloody applaud? This country is becoming a huge Jerry Springer show.
 
#17
DozyBint said:
Cait said:
There are a collection of online condolence threads on arrse as well as many threads containing countless posts of "RIP" from strangers on an internet forum........ is this any different?
I think so, because we're not saying "ARRSE has lost...!" "ARRSE will never be the same again...!" "ARRSErs have been pulled closer together by this loss...!"

It's not the people turning out to the funeral who give the sense of distaste, it's the fact that people come out with spurious comments such as "Liverpool is suffering!"
No, its done as an Army/Armed Forces/MOD collective, funnily enough by people, strangers as they are to the victims, who have a shared interest. Equally when people post lines in the condolence thread such as "Jesus, please not again, how much longer can the forces do this for" is this not distasteful too?
 
#18
Cait said:
No, its done as an Army/Armed Forces/MOD collective, funnily enough by people, strangers as they are to the victims, who have a shared interest.
Which is why I wrote: It's not the people turning out to the funeral who give the sense of distaste, it's the fact that people come out with spurious comments such as "Liverpool is suffering!"

The large turn-out at the funeral isn't the issue to me, it's the breast beating and 'collective loss' that doesn't feel right. Which is why I agree with what you've said below:

Cait said:
Equally when people post lines in the condolence thread such as "Jesus, please not again, how much longer can the forces do this for" is this not distasteful too?
 
#19
There was only seven years difference between Rhys Jones and Ben Ford.




Dont see the media whipping up a shitstorm on Ben.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#20
And, is it really neccessary, let alone tasteful, for a national newspaper to include a '3 page funeral tribute' ?
Sad as it is, other small children are killed needlessley, one recently by a dog and a dope-smoking grandmother's neglect.
I have lost family, and although they were not "important" they were loved and missed, but I would have hated to see the funeral turned into a circus!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Peli23 The NAAFI Bar 47
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 199
Robbo96 The NAAFI Bar 1067

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top