Collective Funeral?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mazur_UK, Sep 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just seen on the news about loads of people (2000?) going to the funeral of the Liverpool lad who got shot. Sure I think it is a terrible thing and I would pass my condolences to his family but I pose 2 questions:

1) Why does this not happen for every man or woman coming home from Iraq or Stan in a coffin?
    2) Would it be possible (with the permission of the deceased soldiers family) to organise a large collective funeral for the people who died out there?

2. It's a manufactured collective grief, like placing flowers, leaving messages and paying "respect". Hyped up by the media it's the done thing. The hyped outpourings of grief when Diana died was the start of it, the collective hysteria was sickening.

3. Yeh same for people like Steve Irwin. Literally I knew people who went from saying he was the most annoying person on TV to him being their secret idol.

4. And when, pray, did it become the norm to applaud at fecking funerals?

"Well done that corpse, good drills"

5. IIRC old Boris (or Saint Boris of Henley on Thames) raised the point that our Scouse cousins do love the collective grief thing.

Note I'm not having a go at Merseysiders but this has been hyped by the meeja like nobody's business.

I note the Bishop went on about the poor little sod being a beacon of light to the community when the plod can't get a decent witness because people are too scared to testify in court.

AGain, nowt against the residents of Croxteth Green but the gang members need sorting. 48 hrs of martial law anyone?

6. No doubt I'll be condemned to Hell for this, but I had to mute the volume when the 10 o'clock news covered the funeral - I couldn't bear to hear another "Liverpool has lost..." or "Liverpool stands together..." comment.

By all means support the family, but the collective grief thing really is nauseating.

7. CS is right, if "the community" thought anything of him, his killer would now be known.

Words are cheap, and actions speak much louder anyway.

8. Too many "crocodile tears" for my liking - all fuelled by media hype. I'm not one to advocate mob rule/justice, but reflect that in other communities (e.g. NI) the perpretrator(s) would probably have been sorted by now...

9. its a tragedy for the familly and friends.

Now Liverpool, on the other hand, love being the victim...........

Attached Files:

10. Sometimes it does happen: Farewell to a 'legend'

11. Yep shame for the family and relatives/close friends but every other fooker needs to find their own band wagon or disappear under what ever insignificant rock they crawled from.

You wouln't see the same people for sh!t if it were a traffic warden knocked over in Tesco's carpark (unless they were lining up to try the new speed bump before the council carted the body away)

12. The answer to all these qwuestions could be

Diana
    Diana
    Diana

etc ad freekin nauseam

13. There are a collection of online condolence threads on arrse as well as many threads containing countless posts of "RIP" from strangers on an internet forum........ is this any different?

14. I'll clap my hands, cheer, whoop and jump up and down when Dubya curls up his hobbit type feet.

15. I think so, because we're not saying "ARRSE has lost...!" "ARRSE will never be the same again...!" "ARRSErs have been pulled closer together by this loss...!"

It's not the people turning out to the funeral who give the sense of distaste, it's the fact that people come out with spurious comments such as "Liverpool is suffering!"