Collecting for Charity whilst wearing Uniform

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by Moon_Monkey_Spunk, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm convinced I seen a DIN last year stating it was now "illegal" to collect for any Military / Civvy Charity whislt wearing Uniform as it was deemed as the Soldier not being "on duty".

I've had a look at the DIN register but it's like looking for the proverbial.

Can anyone shed any light on this policy, I'm not a fan of waving charity tins outside train stations Ect but I need to find the regulation.

Cheers in advance.
  2. If you wear uniform but a rab jacket over the top it's ok.
  3. You wouldn't let it lie would you........ :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm sure it wasn't a DIN.

The most I remember was an entry on Part Ones saying that collecting in uniform in support of a Service Charity had to have the permission of the Bde Commander.

There was another one about not using military resources (fuel, tentage, etc) in support of charity events any more - that might have been in a DIN.

Stupid alcohol, causing me to .... forget..... stuff....
  5. If that's the case we'll be in trouble at the City poppy collection next year if they send us all the Guardsmen again, & probably make a shed load less money...
  6. IIRC it was collecting for non-militray charities that was not deemed appropriate. Proper military charities sanctioned by the CoC should still be ok. For example Regimental Charities and Poppy Appeal etc. If in doubt ask your CoC.
  7. Would you still require permssion from BDE in regard to Hols4Heroes
  8. The policy you are referring to is actually a letter signed off by DG Pers. Can't remember the exact detail but approval must be given to wear uniform when collecting for charities.
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Ladies and Gents - I point you towards ABN43/10: Fundraising in Uniform.

• Uniformed soldiers should not use the positive reputation of the Army for their personal benefit or for the benefit of third parties.
    • With immediate effect, money is not to be collected by soldiers in uniform for any cause that has not been officially sanctioned by the chain of command at Regional Brigade or above.
    • Soldiers conducting commercial activities or fund raising for charities are not on duty and would be considered to be undertaking a private life activity.
    • Where soldiers wish to wear uniform while fund raising, authorisation must be received from at least Regional Brigade Headquarters or higher.
    • Authorisation is unlikely to be given unless the occasion is in support of a Service charity.

(Re: the last bullet - I am pretty sure that H4H is not a "Service Charity", in fact it is probably taking money away from Service Charities. That's not to say it's not raising money for a good cause - it's just a statement of the bleeding obvious.)
  10. Cheers Snowy, 150 ARRSE points for a factual reply!