Colin Wallace - The Man Who Knew Too Much

l-homme-dr-le-barbu-dans-un-chapeau-du-papier-d-aluminium-envoie-des-signaux-54420440.jpg

I'm ready....

Never mind: the nights will start pulling in soon.

Not long before the leaves start dropping, too.

Best get your order in for an extra 1cwt of coal before the prices start climbing.

Ex miners still receive NCB coal gratis I believe.
I had a neighbour in Donny who'd been retired for thirty years and he still got it.

They've probably kept stockpiles just for the retired miners. I've no idea.
Jarrod may have some idea.
The ones living round Cardowan were moaning about Polish coal not being as good as British coal last time I was round there. The colliery closed in 1983.

Choux Bun

Old-Salt

No mines-no NCB, so presumably, imported coal?
My Dad was a miner, free coal for life was part of the employment/retirement deal. Dad died 3 years ago but my Mum still get's free coal (at a reduced amount), it is understood the coal is Polish, not very good quality and burns dirty. If you don't need coal/smokeless fuel you can sell the concession for a one off payment - determined by the Concessionary Fuel Scheme.

Choux Bun

Old-Salt
Reading the above posts about Colin Wallace - the role of psy ops as described, seems markedly different then to when I completed a Psy Ops course in the 90's and I just wonder if the journo is getting his terminology mixed up.

The ones living round Cardowan were moaning about Polish coal not being as good as British coal last time I was round there. The colliery closed in 1983.
My Dad was a miner, free coal for life was part of the employment/retirement deal. Dad died 3 years ago but my Mum still get's free coal (at a reduced amount), it is understood the coal is Polish, not very good quality and burns dirty. If you don't need coal/smokeless fuel you can sell the concession for a one off payment - determined by the Concessionary Fuel Scheme.
That Polish coal would be similar to the East German "brown" coal, the seams are in same region, notorious for being weak (thermal output) and polluting.

That Polish coal would be similar to the East German "brown" coal, the seams are in same region, notorious for being weak (thermal output) and polluting.
Yep it's lignite.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My Mam still got coal until she couldn’t manage fire anymore and we had GCH fitted last year. When I looked up her coal and I’m not sure of brand might be Phurnacite? It seemed to be made from Welsh coal.

Aaaaaand back on topic - I met Colin a few times. He signed my BPA log book a few times when I blagged a few demo jumps with his para team 'The Phantoms' in NI.
His 'D'- licence no is 1416 ( just looked ) For the uninitiated, he had 200 + f/fall descents by that stage in the very early '70's.

Met him again post his prison adventure, when I joined a small company of former 'Them' in London bar, albeit not anticipating his presence. A nice gent and a pleasure to meet again.
Good luck with his venture. He deserves it in my view.

Wonder who's playing me? :rolleyes:

Latest Threads