Colin Powell

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, Feb 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else feel he resigned because he hated what was going on in his government both publicly and behind closed doors?
    I must admit I think they (the US powers that be) new about 911, now they've got their pipeline in Afghanistan, they got their Iraqi oil, now they want revenge for Terhan!
    I see Bush and think 'Manchurian Candidate'

2. Yup - I think his slow realisation that he effectively lied to the UN about the case for war broke him.

Shame that an essentially honourable guy who was much more than just a general should have ended up in a government dominated by such loathsome chickenhawks as Bush et al.

3. IMHO, an honourable man, caught up in one feck off hullballoo.

SK

4. As Sec of State Powell was on the road quite a bit and his wife had a big part to play in his decision to go. Also by serving in government he was taking a pay cut from what he was making in the private sector.

5. The direction the government is going did play a part in him leaving, how big a part we'll never know for sure. However, he did say from the start that he only wanted to do one term as Sec of State. Bush originally wanted him as Sec of Defense and Powell said no.

6. Couldn't agree more :p and as Corporal says, he really did not want a long term career in politics.

CH

7. After GWs speech today, I can see why Powell is leaving......another bloody war.....so soon :?

8. Hav'nt even got me fecken Fingle/Telic medals issued yet :(

9. that's exactly it. Powell emphasised that. He's a man of his word, but others will always lend their own interpretation of "reasons why".

10. He may be a man of his word and certainly has proven himself to be a top notch leader of men, but he knew what he was getting himself into when he joined the bush team. He would also have known that the reasoning for war in iraq was not the one pushed out to the public.

And as for the

they already had a deal deal for the pipeline agreed before 9/11. (granted they had made concessions to the taliban in order to get it in the first place). They have since made a new pipeline agreement with afghanistan, pakistan and some other istan (tajik?) in order to bypass Iran (who the spams are not on best terms with at the mo 8O )

this had nothing to do with the reasons for invading afghanistan. (as they were already willing to deal with the taliban). Oil comes before principles with the GWB camp! :wink:

11. then Alberta will be invaded next. :wink:

12. Im surprised that he hasnt tried to invade Soctland yet!

if you listen to the SNP, we could all be multi billionaires if we keep the North sea oil to ourselves (rather than share with those south of the border). What a lot of deluded Kybosh! :twisted:

13. Why bother.... Bliar will probably just give it him for support in the forthcoming fiasco if he wins :cry: