Colin Powell sacks it

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cutaway, Nov 15, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

BBC News reports that Colin Powell is to step down from his post as Secretary of State, though he will stay on in the position until his successor is appointed

Powell was the voice of reason over Rumsfeldt, so it looks like an even rougher ride coming up for US foreign policy.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the trip to the West Bank, Wolfovitz perhaps ?

3 more to go. Jump or push?

4. This was expected. I wouldnt be surprised to see Rumsfeld go as well.
  5. RTFQ

His next book will make interesting reading...
  6. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

T Blair applying for the post then?
  7. Nah, he already has a job in GWB's cabinet - lap dog :roll:
  8. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I read that Wolfowitz was being edged out as he brings with him the image of a hawk that the White House is trying to soften. I recall a job somewhere in State or the Pentagon was mooted, but not as the top man. Condolezza Rice is also expected to step down from her Security Council post to return to an academic post with the University of California, probably at Berkley.
  9. My money is on Condeleza Rice. Gotta be a sure thing!
  10. Maybe hes going now because the next time we see him could be in 4 years time, running for president against gilianni ( help with spelling please).

But what do I know! How does the the race for the white house begin?what 'ticks in the box' does one require apart from being a multi millionaire?

11. Rummie will be gone in a year and hopefully someone of a less devisive nature to take over Def. Condie would make a great SoS and aside from her, probably see a move away from the hawks this term.

see Sunday Telegraph opinion written by Ed Luttwak for more:

makes for interesting reading and ignores the usual "Bush is a moron and we're all DOOMMMED"
  12. Ed Luttwak is a long time military analyst who I have a high regard for. Dr Rice doesnt want to go to State IF DoD is going to have a vacancy.
  13. Having a lot of dosh is a pr-requisite it would seem. I read Stephen Ambrose's bio on Ike. Eisenhower had a group of very rich supporters that backed him before and during his election campaign. IIRC Eisenhower had a huge popular following after the war before he stood for President.

So I guess a Powell/McCain Republican ticket for 2008?
  14. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

He always vowed to his family that he would never run as he didn't want to be the first black President and a marked man by the far right. That's not to say he wouldn't give it a run as either a Senator, Governorship of a State, or mayor of a big city like NY when Bloomberg steps down.