Colin Powell sacks it

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
BBC News reports that Colin Powell is to step down from his post as Secretary of State, though he will stay on in the position until his successor is appointed

Powell was the voice of reason over Rumsfeldt, so it looks like an even rougher ride coming up for US foreign policy.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the trip to the West Bank, Wolfovitz perhaps ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4013621.stm

Colin Powell to resign top US job

Colin Powell submitted his resignation on Friday
US Secretary of State Colin Powell has said he is resigning, his department has confirmed.
He will step down from his post once President Bush has chosen a successor, officials were quoted as saying.

The 67-year-old, long rumoured to have planned to serve only one term, was said to have submitted his resignation to President George W Bush last Friday.

A White House spokesman said three other cabinet level resignations would be announced on Monday.

One of those is Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

"The Secretary announced to his staff this morning that he had submitted his resignation on Friday," Reuters quoted a state department official as saying.

"He said he was staying on until a successor is confirmed and on board."

Mr Powell was seen as a moderate voice within the Bush administration.
3 more to go. Jump or push?

I read that Wolfowitz was being edged out as he brings with him the image of a hawk that the White House is trying to soften. I recall a job somewhere in State or the Pentagon was mooted, but not as the top man. Condolezza Rice is also expected to step down from her Security Council post to return to an academic post with the University of California, probably at Berkley.

My money is on Condeleza Rice. Gotta be a sure thing!

Maybe hes going now because the next time we see him could be in 4 years time, running for president against gilianni ( help with spelling please).

But what do I know! How does the the race for the white house begin?what 'ticks in the box' does one require apart from being a multi millionaire?

SK

Rummie will be gone in a year and hopefully someone of a less devisive nature to take over Def. Condie would make a great SoS and aside from her, probably see a move away from the hawks this term.

see Sunday Telegraph opinion written by Ed Luttwak for more:

Those are the predictions. Yet, curiously, re-elected presidents tend not to persist in the same courses of action as in their first administration. They do not escalate whatever they were doing because they face no re-election constraints. Instead they tend to disappoint their most enthusiastic followers by changing direction: going Right if they started on the Left (and vice versa); becoming active if they were passive; doveish if they were hawkish: in all cases converging towards the centre of American politics and the mainstream of foreign-policy traditions.
makes for interesting reading and ignores the usual "Bush is a moron and we're all DOOMMMED"

F

fozzy

SKJOLD said:
But what do I know! How does the the race for the white house begin?what 'ticks in the box' does one require apart from being a multi millionaire?

SK
Having a lot of dosh is a pr-requisite it would seem. I read Stephen Ambrose's bio on Ike. Eisenhower had a group of very rich supporters that backed him before and during his election campaign. IIRC Eisenhower had a huge popular following after the war before he stood for President.

So I guess a Powell/McCain Republican ticket for 2008?
:)

SKJOLD said:
Maybe hes going now because the next time we see him could be in 4 years time, running for president against gilianni ( help with spelling please).

SK
He always vowed to his family that he would never run as he didn't want to be the first black President and a marked man by the far right. That's not to say he wouldn't give it a run as either a Senator, Governorship of a State, or mayor of a big city like NY when Bloomberg steps down.

Presidents with a second term usually have a number of Secretaries leave or change jobs. This is quite normal. For many of these people 4 years of public service is quite enough. Sometimes these changes reflect a change of direction. In this next term Bush has stated the desire to reform social security and to get an energy bill passed that will lower the US reliance on foreign oil. An overhaul of the tax code has also been mentioned. During wartime the Sec of State usually has a secondary role and defense a primary role. In peacetime these roles are reversed. Right now the CIA is beginning the process of being swept by the new broom, Porter Goss. The intel failures have been many and its time for those responsbile to be moved out. Expect to see more resistance from the old guard.

He always vowed to his family that he would never run as he didn't want to be the first black President and a marked man by the far right.
Due respect to Mr Powell for keeping his word to his family so far, but as for not wanting to be 'First Black President' IMHO if he were to be the best man for the job get him in! Stuff the critics.

tomahawk6 said:
Dr Rice will be named officially as Powell's replacement tomorrow.
That is rather depressing news, tomy, after reading the link posted above by NWD. I used to admire Dr Rice, a perfect Washington character for a Tom Clancy novel.