Colin Powell dies from COVID Complications

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just coming through the wire now

Ritch

LE
Many others will have differing opinions on the man but no one can deny he was a trailblazer.

That is sad news. I always thought he had the potential to be a great President.

That is sad news. I always thought he had the potential to be a great President.

Right up until the WMD brief.

RIP General.

RIP General.
Think I read/heard somewhere that he knew he was being hoodwinked into the briefing and was very uncomfortable with giving it. Not sure where the truth is, but hey, he was the guy speaking.

ches

LE

RIP General.
In his defence, other than resign, i don't think he had much choice with the stuff he was peddling. The fact he was lied to by others is now part of the record.

As a potential steadying rock in that messed up country, he will be missed.

Could and probably should have been the first black VP or even President had not the GOP suffered the outbreak of religious mania that resulted in Romney et al. Would have made a better fist of it than Barry O'Bama.

His autobiography is a good read.

RIP

I cannot recall his words verbatim, but in his autobiography, he compared the different opportunities for a man of colour had his parents chosen to emigrate to UK

Instead of Secretary of State, he reckons he would have ended up as RSM in an English county regiment.

I guess he must have eventually come to terms with the cruel blow that fate had dealt him.

RIP

Last edited:
What was the deal with - "Coe-lin"?

Colin, is Colin!

RIP

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
A son of Jamaican parents born in Harlem and ends up as Secretary of State.

You see it can be done. Thats not a bad life. RIP:salut:

Could and probably should have been the first black VP or even President had not the GOP suffered the outbreak of religious mania that resulted in Romney et al.

I recall reading/hearing that his wife would not sanction his running for office, as she was convinced he would have been assassinated.

Americanism much like the Craig/Creg divide (shudders)

Or, and I almost choked the first time I heard it, 'Basil'/'Bay-zil' (although to be honest, being American, maybe he spelt it that way).

Ding Dong!

Clanker
I recall reading/hearing that his wife would not sanction his running for office, as she was convinced he would have been assassinated.
At the time of Obama’s election, a serving American airforce SNCO friend told me that the general consensus was that an assassination attempt was inevitable on a black president, it didn’t happen but would highlight why you wouldn’t want your loved one in that position.
RIP.

A very good one, at least. I saw him as a potential black Eisenhower (another 4* who never commanded a division but still made a notably effective President). But I seem to recall that his wife was unhappy with that prospect, understandably fearing the enhanced chances of assassination of a black POTUS. His possible descent from Edward III, if a minor facet of his character, was another intriguing one. An eloquent, dignified man, and apparently a relatively honest one by political standards. A loss to the US. RIP.

Last edited:
He always appeared to be a decent chap doing a decent job. How that compares with reality I do not know as I have very little knowledge of US politics.

Well he had a good run, 84 ain’t to bad.
84 is well above average for a male to die at, so not bad at all. Covid complications? - in other words a heart attack or something like that, still the MSM like to push the Covid agenda.