Colin Mudie's Submersible Yacht?

In "The Brendan Voyage" reference is made to a Naval Architect (EDIT Colin Mudie) who aids the expedition bu consulting on the curragh itself. The text mentions that he once produced designs for a submersible yacht. I have previously googled for info on this to no avail and my copy of the book is AWOL now. Has anyone any knowledge of this?

EDIT Link below added to provide context.

Last edited:
In "The Brendan Voyage" reference is made to a Naval Architect who aids the expedition bu consulting on the curragh itself. The text mentions that he once produced designs for a submersible yacht. I have previously googled for info on this to no avail and my copy of the book is AWOL now. Has anyone any knowledge of this?
Sounds like an Irish Submarine to me.
I never heard the Irish Navy had subs though.
They do however have very pretty girls with lovely accents, and Guinness.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
All yachts are submersible, it is the re-surfacing that causes most of the problems.

An excellent book about an epic voyage. I was in a yacht club once being mildly self-congratulatory about a yacht delivery I'd just completed. The quiet and charming bloke who sat listening to this bollox without complaint turned out to be George Maloney who crewed on the Brendan Voyage.

This hasn't helped has it?

An excellent book about an epic voyage. I was in a yacht club once being mildly self-congratulatory about a yacht delivery I'd just completed. The quiet and charming bloke who sat listening to this bollox without complaint turned out to be George Maloney who crewed on the Brendan Voyage.

This hasn't helped has it?
It hasn't hindered. Reminds me of the time I expained fossils to a geology lecturer.

any old and bold survivors from 11 inf workshops frg minden ,can supply information on submersibles, they were well known for their fleet of submersible 432,s and 434,s, they were forever losing them in the Weser!!

All yachts are submersible, it is the re-surfacing that causes most of the problems.

Dodgy self bailer will do that. Being chased by hippos approaching the shore and having to dive under the hull to swerve them was a bit arse clenching.

Title edited to include Colin Mudies name.

I have reproduced his introduction in the Brendan Voyage book below (having checked someone elses copy).

The name seemed distantly familiar, and then I remembered. Colin Mudie had sailed with Patrick Ellam across the Atlantic in the tiny yaucht Sopranino in the 1950s. He had also designed an extraordinary ballon to to cover the same route, using a gondola that doubled as a boat when, after a record time aloft, the ballooning ended in a storm. Colin Mudie had a reputation as one of the most unorthodox designers to be found. Nothing daunted him. Artic explorers took their sledges to him to to have them made into converticle boats; he designed power craft for high-speed racing, kites to fly radio aerials, even a submersible yauch with the mast sticking out of the water.
EDIT for grammer and spelling.

Last edited:
Sounds like an Irish Submarine to me.
I never heard the Irish Navy had subs though.
They do however have very pretty girls with lovely accents, and Guinness.
It was an Irishman built the first practical submarine. John Holland. Originally conceived to attack Britain. Must have been galling when RN became one of the best customers..;) Admiral Wilson was right when He said,' underhand, Unfair and damned Un English'..:rofl:

It was an Irishman built the first practical submarine. John Holland. Originally conceived to attack Britain. Must have been galling when RN became one of the best customers..;) Admiral Wilson was right when He said,' underhand, Unfair and damned Un English'..:rofl:
Isn't that why HM Subs fly the Jolly Roger when returning from a successful patrol?