Colin McRae helicopter crash

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks as if officialdom has come down on McRae as to the causes of the crash that killed him and others.

Somehow fitting that he went out just as he drove - pushing the envelope a bit too far. Doesn't excuse it though.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

He had a helicopter license and type approval - both not renewed. His expired license is technically illegal but not related to the cause of the crash - distracting headline as usual.
    Or did I miss something?
  3. As I don't know the first thing about flying a bellypopper, would someone who does tell us what happens when one renews a licence? Does a test have to be done? If his lapsed licence meant that he'd not been brought up-to-date with skills and drills, then in my opinion he was reckless; but if the licence renewal would merely have been a rubber-stamp, then it clearly had no influence on the crash.

The fact that he was unlicenced has obviously added to the distress of the families of the others killed in the crash and my heart goes out to them.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Cynical me thinks their distress level is proportionally influenced to some degree by the Mac family bank balance and the chance of a claim....
  5. Without a licence renewal, which involves either recent flying practice or a check ride, or without a rating covering the type of helicopter he was flying, any insurance he may have had would be invalidated.

He may have at some time in his flying training experienced the manouvre he attempted, but skills need to be practiced regularly to stay ahead of the aircraft.

OTOH, the inquiry didn't rule out other causes, such as his front-seat pax interfering with the controls, or a distraction.
  6. It might cause a nightmare when it comes to the insurance - bet the company argues he wasn't covered. Graham Hill caused hell for his family when he did something similar.
  7. A pretty low blow there I think. I don't think the loss of a child can be equated to the wealth of the one responsible for their death. The pain of losing your 6 your old son would be the same if the killer was a Chav joy rider or a F1 champion.
  8. Graham Hill's error, I recall , was one of the oldest mistakes in the flying book - failing to set the altimeter correctly.
  9. AAIB reports tell it as it is.

"Considering the video evidence, the pilot’s intention was probably to fly a hard, right turn at low height within the valley, possibly leading to a further, final zoom climb before landing at the helipad.

A high-speed, low-level turning manoeuvre in the heavily wooded valley was a demanding one, which would have subjected the helicopter and its occupants to an increased risk.

The circumstances of the accident, which included a strong tailwind, suggest that the pilot needed to fly an unexpectedly high performance manoeuvre which led to, or contributed to, the flight path deviation.

This deviation may have been due to a servo transparency encounter, spatial disorientation, misjudgement or some other factor or combination of factors."

Would it have made a jot of difference if his paperwork was up to date?
  10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Unless the paperwork was somehow designed to remind him of his own mortality, I doubt it.