Coldstream Guards Turban

Here (again):
Ummm ... here:
  • "exaggerated nature" = banned = "shouldn't happen"
  • "shaved heads" = ummm ... "shaved heads"
Regardless of serving or not, on the other side of the world or not, there's not really any other way of "interpreting" it.

That is your post, isn't it? You really are a dumb-arrse.
Evidently they already have - but the cjain seems to have broken.
Shaved doesn't have to mean shaved bald it can mean all those natty little designs black people seem to favour.
Look it up on Google.

Last edited:
I wanted to change mine to atheist but was told I would to have an interview with the Padre first.
Still seems to be the standard one of our blokes turned Rastafarian and had to see the padre first. He did and it's been changed on JPA. Doubtless John g will google something about Rastas and say the army is wrong.

There's a shock eh?

Incidentally have you heard the latest crap recruiting advert on the radio? About females in the army and shaved heads? I could have sworn an expert Google user said that shouldn't happen.
Shaven headed women in the Army? FFS these liberal Lefty 'wannabe blokes' get everywhere.

I had Jedi recorded on JPA despite you telling me that it isn't a recognised religion. My dogtags had "OB" on there for "Other Belief".

Have I been discriminated against?
It doesn't have to be a "recognised religion" - this is just more uninformed nonsense. It only has to be a "philosophical belief" and meet the requirements spelt out in the JSP I've linked to several times, which a couple of posters would evidently prefer doesn't exist as it contradicts their agendas. Para 5:

How Religion and Belief are Defined in the Equality Act and case law

5. The criteria for determining what is a “philosophical belief” are that it must be genuinely held; be a belief and not an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available; be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour; attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance; and be worthy of respect in a democratic society, compatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others. So, for example, any cult involved in illegal activities would not satisfy these criteria.

'OB' is normal for the less recognised beliefs on dog tags, so as long as your JPA entry was correct 'no' you weren't discriminated against at all.

It doesn't have to be a "recognised religion" - this is just more uninformed nonsense. It only has to be a "philosophical belief" and meet the requirements spelt out in the JSP I've linked to several times, which a couple of posters would evidently prefer doesn't exist as it contradicts their agendas. Para 5:

5. The criteria for determining what is a “philosophical belief” are that it must be genuinely held; be a belief and not an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available; be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour; attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance; and be worthy of respect in a democratic society, compatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others. So, for example, any cult involved in illegal activities would not satisfy these criteria.

'OB' is normal for the less recognised beliefs on dog tags, so as long as your JPA entry was correct 'no' you weren't discriminated against at all.
What if a Sikh believes he is a fully practising sikh?

Blue italic font alert.

This is not a drill.

Fcuk me I wish I was a good enough Jedi to reach through the internet and Force Choke you.

I wanted to change mine to atheist but was told I would to have an interview with the Padre first.
Not just normal, despite what the dumb-arrses here are telling you, but in many cases required - partly for maintenance of good order and military discipline and partly as a duty of care.

For the former the Army obviously can't let anyone who wants dreadlocks to be allowed to get away with just claiming to be a rastafarian if they're not, so the padre would often be called in to 'vet' those changing to 'Other Beliefs'. Similarly for anyone wanting long hair and a beard, they wouldn't just be allowed to call themselves Sikhs if they didn't appear to be, despite what the two dumb-arrses have claimed, so the Army Sikh chaplain would often be called in to 'vet' the change.

For the latter it's not just about long hair, shaving or cake and biccies but the Army has a responsibility to ensure that in the event of your untimely death you're given the appropriate last rites, if possible, and burial arrangements so it has a duty of care to ensure you're aware of the consequences of any change in beliefs and it isn't a passing childish whim.

It's also got a legal responsibility for ensuring that religion isn't used as an excuse for homophobic, sexual or racist discrimination by those trying to hide behind a religion they don't actually have - it's far from just whatever suits you on the day, as you rightly point out.

What if a Sikh believes he is a fully practising sikh?
If there's any question about it the Sikh chaplain can be called in - that's one of the things he's paid for. It isn't the individual's choice to decide which of the categories the JSP lay's down is applied, just as you can't just say you're the Pope and have it accepted.

Last edited:
Still seems to be the standard one of our blokes turned Rastafarian and had to see the padre first. He did and it's been changed on JPA. Doubtless John g will google something about Rastas and say the army is wrong.
Rastafarianism's also covered in the JSP: pages 35 / 36. If you read it you may be better informed and there'd be slightly less possibility of your making so many stupid mistakes.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fcuk me I wish I was a good enough Jedi to reach through the internet and Force Choke you.
Hopefully, he'll choke on the meaty length of one of his Thai "girlfriends"!

If there's any question about it the Sikh chaplain can be called in - that's one of the things he's paid for. It isn't the individual's choice to decide which of the categories the JSP lay's down is applied.
Wrong again mister wrongie. It is indeed the individual. All the god squad can do is advise.
If i want to say I'm a Christian there is **** all the padre can do about it.

Rastafarianism's also covered in the JSP: pages 35 / 36. If you readvit you may be better informed and there'd be slightly less possibility of your making so many stupid mistakes.
And where did I say it wasn't covered? Are we down to making things up again?

No one really cares what religion anyone is, or how easy it is or not change it.

The issue is, did the guy involved snort a bit of marching powder or not. If he did, and i repeat it is still an if at this stage, when he will get what he deserves.

Not just normal, despite what the dumb-arrses here are telling you, but in many cases required - partly for maintenance of good order and military discipline and partly as a duty of care.

For the former the Army obviously can't let anyone who wants dreadlocks to be allowed to get away with just claiming to be a rastafarian if they're not, so the padre would often be called in to 'vet' those changing to 'Other Beliefs'. Similarly for anyone wanting long hair and a beard, they wouldn't just be allowed to call themselves Sikhs if they didn't appear to be, despite what the two dumb-arrses have claimed, so the Army Sikh chaplain would often be called in to 'vet' the change.

For the latter it's not just about long hair, shaving or cake and biccies but the Army has a responsibility to ensure that in the event of your untimely death you're given the appropriate last rites, if possible, and burial arrangements so it has a duty of care to ensure you're aware of the consequences of any change in beliefs and it isn't a passing childish whim.

It's also got a legal responsibility for ensuring that religion isn't used as an excuse for homophobic, sexual or racist discrimination by those trying to hide behind a religion they don't actually have - it's far from just whatever suits you on the day, as you rightly point out.
The padre doesn't vet anyone so stop talking bollocks john
The Rastafarian I mentioned said he wanted to change religions so he could have long hair. No one gave a **** because that is his right.

The_Duke

LE
If there's any question about it the Sikh chaplain can be called in - that's one of the things he's paid for. It isn't the individual's choice to decide which of the categories the JSP lay's down is applied, just as you can't just say you're the Pope and have it accepted.
She must be busy, covering all of these enquiries. And the first one was appointed twelve years after you retired, Major John.

Mandeep Kaur created history by becoming First Sikh chaplain in the British Armed Forces!

Last edited:
She must be busy, covering all of these enquiries.
I've met her, she seems a nice lady with her advice.
It's optional for our Sikhs to meet her.
Doubtless she is being cyperstalked from the other side of the world as I type this.

Wrong again mister wrongie. It is indeed the individual. All the god squad can do is advise.
If i want to say I'm a Christian there is **** all the padre can do about it.
You really need to read the JSP, or to ask someone to read it to you since you seem incapable of basic comprehension.

Yes, you can say you're a Christian and have it entered in your JPA, but you can't decide if you're the Pope, etc; similarly you can say you're a Sikh but you can't decide if you're a fully practicing Sikh if the Sikh chaplain says you're not.

Even I can't be bothered to argue with you any more because, just as you refused to acknowledge your post on "shaved heads" despite it being there for anyone bored enough to see, you'll just continue to refuse to acknowledge what's in the JSP even when I quote it.