• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Coldstream Guards Turban

ugly

LE
The turban he will be wearing features a ceremonial cap star to match the bearskin hats worn by the other soldiers.

How? If he wore a turban and cockade it would match, perhaps compliment but not match. Whilst I have no issue with religious identities surely he should be wearing a uniform the same as the others with a dastar underneath his bearskin?
Otherwise its not uniform is it?

He's wearing a different hat and he's got a beard. Who gives a fúck.

As long as he's capable, I don't see that it matters.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reminds me of the old Sgt-Maj joke,
"Drill Sgt, there is an 'ole in my squad, why is there an 'ole in my squad?"
"It's Pte Shortarse Sir, he's only five foot tall"
"Well get him outta my squad, I will not ave arf an 'ole where an 'ole 'ole should be".

The turban he will be wearing features a ceremonial cap star to match the bearskin hats worn by the other soldiers.

How? If he wore a turban and cockade it would match, perhaps compliment but not match. Whilst I have no issue with religious identities surely he should be wearing a uniform the same as the others with a dastar underneath his bearskin?
Multicultural diversity in the Guards eh, who'd a thought it.
@earth will be condemning him as a traitor.

He's wearing a different hat and he's got a beard. Who gives a fúck.

As long as he's capable, I don't see that it matters.
Guards are all about wearing red jackets, fluffy busbies and shiny boots, foot stamping and walking in step.

No need to be capable, just look the same.

But you're right, who gives a fúck?

The point of uniform is everyone of the same rank wears the same , the clue is in the name.

I wonder if he`ll wear his turban on patrol when every one else is wearing their tin pot?

GMF again:
He had a black piper apply to the band.
Eventually the RSM came forth with this gem:
"That bein' so – we've taken him as a soldier. Whatever work he's suited for, he should be given. If he's fit to march in a rifle company, I'm poseetive he's fit to march in the pipes and drums."

Guards are all about wearing red jackets, fluffy busbies and shiny boots, foot stamping and walking in step.

No need to be capable, just look the same.

But you're right, who gives a fúck?
Busbies?
Someone will put you right.

Now if I had an imaginary friend in the sky, who told me to grow a silly beard & wear a silly hat, maybe I'd question my choice of employment or my principal object of faith, when I feel the need to wear a different silly hat to everyone else

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Splendid. Expect escalations to follow...

I've always loved ed watching these..freestyle drill whilst clearly coked our your nut.

Horse Guards would never be the same again.

Also, Gdsm in question is a ****. I suspect he just wants to be different and found his angle.

The Guards are bigger than any one individual.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I agree. What would happen if other Johnny foreigners wanted to join the Guards. Imagine a Gurkha slouch hat there or a Native American headdress? What if they let women parade with them? Burkhas at Buck house? I think we should say enough is enough. Guardsman Jones wasn't allowed to wear sandals when he was excused boots was he? It just isn't British. One cannot enjoy trooping of the colour whilst sipping a Pimms if one's vision is constantly interrupted by a succession of Commonwealth chappies of a dusky hue. Can't they be used to clear up the horse shit or something?

It's point scoring from the Forces for all the snowflakes. "Look how inclusive we are!". As mentioned, he could have wore a Dastar and put on the correct hat for the parade, but lets not let that get in the way of being inclusive for the cameras.

Unfortunately, the equality industry makes no allowances or exceptions.

The whole ethos of the guards ceremonial is predicated on strict uniformity in dress and drill. This shoots a hole right through that. In other regimental duties, it probably doesn't matter.

Unless I am mistaken, the pagri (turban) is not in itself one of the five Ks - the five rules to which Sikhs are supposed to adhere. 'Kesh' is leaving the hair uncut. The turban is a convenient way of arranging things and has become something of a badge of identity, but surely something could have been worked out still using the bearskin.

It's been reported that some younger Sikhs are condemning what they see as a willingness by older Sikhs to lose parts of their identity. Like it or not, the UK is now a country with a Balkan-like group of large populations of different races and religions. Anything we can do, within reason, to foster a sense of cohesion and mutual tolerance between communities is good; particularly if it keeps 'on side' a community that is genuinely pro-UK and, atm, well integrated.

It's been reported that some younger Sikhs are condemning what they see as a willingness by older Sikhs to lose parts of their identity. Like it or not, the UK is now a country with a Balkan-like group of large populations of different races and religions. Anything we can do, within reason, to foster a sense of cohesion and mutual tolerance between communities is good; particularly if it keeps 'on side' a community that is genuinely pro-UK and, atm, well integrated.
This isn't integration. It is segregation.

He is a guardsman, he should be wearing a bearskin. No exceptions.