Coldstream Guards Help Children Of Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Oct 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its a shame that the only good news about Britfor in Iraq is coming from the MOD PR machine. The mainstream press never pick this up as it does not fit with their preference for doom and gloom, I think they would like nothing better than a Tet offensive like situation, Tet was a massive defeat for the North Vietnamese/Viet Cong but the press, as ever managed to help them by presenting a misleading picture. Squaddies helping the locals? does not fit with the middle class ignorance of our revolting national press.

Press corps scum, Christ I despise them.

Well done the Guards though, a company of British Soldiers make the world a better place more than five hundered journos!!

Furious of London

2. Time to write to the Editor with the MoD Oracle link me thinks.........

Beebs

PS Well done those people :D

3. I couldn't agree more with Vonshot. Last night watching the news the presenter gleefully exclaimed that a new poll showed that one third of those asked wanted UK forces to leave Iraq immediately. To me that means that TWO thirds of those asked DON'T want UK forces to leave Iraq immediately!

Well done the Guards anyway.

4. Well done! Right action, just in time. Iraqis have been shown that British military is not 'occupiers'. The British try to help Iraqis and that's all.

Such a pity that main-stream mass-media prefer to speak only about terror acts and violence.

Btw, Soviet army in Afghanistan in 80's did similar things (brother of my wife took part in such events many times).

5. Very true indeed about the press all they want to hear about is road side bombs and vbies not the good stuff that the British Army is actually doing out here, well done all.

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Um....just to ensure you are completely clued up Sergey, the British Army ( and Navy) have been doing these kind of things in the Basra TAOR since March 2003....the Coldstreams are carrying on where other units who rotated through have also gone - and well done them, all power to their elbows.

On a lighter note , as this picture from their regimental website shows, the Guards have kept their , er, distinctive sense of humour....;-)
    [​IMG]

Jolly well done those dry-bobs......PG Wodehouse would be proud !

Le Chevre

7. edited.

8. No doubt. I'm sure that help from British military to ordinary Iraqis was, are and will be provided. And British newspapers should pay more attention to each concrete action.

PS. As to tea, then I'm a great fan. Just now I'm drinking Ahmad Earl Grey (almost black).

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

With the obligatory cherry jam and a slice of lemon ?

10. Alas, no. Taste of lemon is too strong form my point of view. Unlike many Russians who prefer tea with lemon I never consume it with tea. As to cherry jam them my mother-in-law pruduces each year big amount of so called cherrish 'varenie' (whith whole cherries).

My cup is empty, right time to make another one.