Coldseal windows

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I was wondering if anyone could reccomend somebody who can replace a window locking system and unlock my back door.
I the get up and go of a dead sloth at the moment and am just not up to it.
This could also lead on to getting the Facia's replaced.
I am also looking for some cheap decorators. I have not been able to keep on top of things and now its come back and bit me on the bum.
I couldnt find the tradesman thread on my phone so i have posted here
Oh i am in Dunstable

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

How about safe style windows. They exist for bone idle cnuts like you.

Cheeky sod. You didn't even replace the ones you broke when you made the big bang.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Correct.

I worked for Everest for a bit.... ******* cowboys. (that's why they employed me)
Cheers for the link.

Looks like a locksmith job. Might be a few on here who can help with that.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
The only reason i am not getting up on a ladder and doing it myself is because i just got out of hospital last week after having 3 heart attacks. The job cant wait for me, so i have to pay someone to do it for me.
You rude man
:p

A couple of years ago I locked myself out (on a weekend - double time etc...) and it cost me £75 to get back in again. I now keep a spare set of keys in the pub safe just in case it happens again. Why the pub? You may well ask... Well it's because it's that kind of pub and when I get pissed they do tend to look after me - also the pub tends to be avaliable (if not officially open) at all hours.

Anyhow, Coldseal went bust a few years ago, now known as 'Warmseal'. Although Coldseal was not the original name that was Weatherseal.
Double glazing walt.

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend somebody who can replace a window locking system and unlock my back door.
I the get up and go of a dead sloth at the moment and am just not up to it.
This could also lead on to getting the Facia's replaced.
I am also looking for some cheap decorators. I have not been able to keep on top of things and now its come back and bit me on the bum.
I couldnt find the tradesman thread on my phone so i have posted here
Oh i am in Dunstable

PM sent of details of an ex REME now self employed tradesman who lives up the road from you.

If you use Safestyle make sure you have feed for the fitters horses, bunch of bloody cowboys working for them. Eight windows and a door in 4 hours. They fitted the windows flush to the outside edge of the opening instead of into the recess and used decorators caulk instead of silicon to seal them. Made a right mess of plaster,tiling and chipped paint off every door in the house carrying frames in, when they finished two of the new frames had to be replaced due to damage. A remedial team of two fitters here for four days to refit the lot properly. When I complained they said I was a Racist, hell I didn't know they were an Asian company until after they said that and I checked them out.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
If you use Safestyle make sure you have feed for the fitters horses, bunch of bloody cowboys working for them. Eight windows and a door in 4 hours. They fitted the windows flush to the outside edge of the opening instead of into the recess and used decorators caulk instead of silicon to seal them. Made a right mess of plaster,tiling and chipped paint off every door in the house carrying frames in, when they finished two of the new frames had to be replaced due to damage. A remedial team of two fitters here for four days to refit the lot properly. When I complained they said I was a Racist, hell I didn't know they were an Asian company until after they said that and I checked them out.
My next door naighbour who is a bit dim used them, he had two back windows replaced and a door cost him I think £2500, they look terrible, they look poor quality. They're brown but they used clear silicone to seal around the edges, they told him when it set it would go brown...
Local company did 5 windows and two doors for me, £4500, much better quality, better fitted and they looked at next doors and knew who had fitted them.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
i only paid £200 for 8 leaded windows and a front door. I refused to pay until the job had been finished and the company explained to me why the fitters mate was alone at my house trying to fit the windows.
My wife came home and he got abusive when she asked who he was, she hid in the neighbours and i ended up chasing him down the street when i got home, he got abusive to me and i didnt even know he had done it to the mrs too. My wife also had her 21st b/day present stolen. a gold necklace.
The company didnt send anyone and eventualy went bust.
When the reciever contacted me for payment i told them that coldseal said i didnt have to pay because of shoddy work, they asked me to send an email saying that, and that was it, the bill was wiped out.
I have found replacement locks and am calling a local fitter recommended by a fellow arrser.

Slightly off topic but if anyone is contemplating upvc windows they are easy to size and fit. There are plenty of trade suppliers who will sell to you. I fitted my own on my renovations a few times by myself taking around an hour to remove the old window and fit up the new one.

The only thing is that nowadays you need to get building control around to check that they are fitted with low e glass and meet fire regs. Doddle, the specs are available from many council web sites and you just tell the supplier that the windows need to meet regs.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
you can get them off the shelf if you are a standard size. I fitted a set of patio doors which were £99 from B&Q a few years back.

quite a few places do them like that.