Cold, wet exercise season is here - Be more comfortable by giving Gary some love

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by This_Tribe_Rob, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This_Tribe_Rob

This_Tribe_Rob Sponsor

Giving your issue Gore-Tex some love and care is a very quick, easy and cheap job. It's a really good bit of kit that sometimes get's a bad press - "not as good as the.. " XYZBerg Super jacket, "not real Gore-Tex, MoD saving crap.." and so on. Not true - it just needs a small amount of care and your next night of tabbing across babies heads in the pissing rain could be significantly more comfortable.

I've put together an explanatory article with a small amount of Gore-Tex techno babble here. If you're not interested in the 'why' then this is summary. The must-do at this time of year:

• Machine wash in warm water with washing powder
    • Tumble dry on medium heat
    • Spray the jacket with a water-repellant spray such as Nikwax TX Direct Spray

A job of minutes that will make your issue jacket as good as the XYZBerg Super Jacket.

Same applies to your bivvy bag by the way.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Thank fcuk for that, I thought you meant Gary Glitter, not Gary Goretex.
  3. This_Tribe_Rob

This_Tribe_Rob Sponsor

Ah yes... last heard of a few years ago when he said he was writing a book about his innocence. Never heard about it being published though. Odd.
  4. My Gary gets Nikwax Techwash (which can also be used on smocks) then TX Wash in.

Let the machine do the work. A low tumble dry. Job jobbed.
  5. I prefer simple bog roll and a bidet in extreme cases.
  6. Tape on the seams of one of my goretex coats is peeling off. Anyone know where to get more? Poor quality of stuff these days it's only just over 20yrs old.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

8. I use that too.

You can also get nikwax product (of one degree or antoher) to waterproof smocks and revitalise your softee
  9. This_Tribe_Rob

This_Tribe_Rob Sponsor

As I understand it synthetic jacket fills all break down - it's one of the disadvantages compared with down. I'd always assumed that you wash as little as possible because of that but I don't have any hard facts to hand.

I'm always keen to learn more about things like that so if there are any synthetic fill experts, please fire away!
  10. I think Choccy is referring to the wash in reproofer.

Thier website is a mecca for right saddos like me who want to reproof the world.

Cotton proof (Smocks)
    TX (All Goretex from bivi bag to DILAC hat)
    Polar proof (Softie, poncho liner, dossbags)
    Tech wash washing all of the above.

Then there's the boot stuff....
  11. You don't wash them that often, but when they are walking around on their own you feel sort of compelled to!!! Besides, the diesal that was spilt all over the sleeve probably did more damage than the washing... and the fire smoke, and the food, sweat, oil (gun and OMD), and the other stuff that I had to wash out.
  12. Does that Nikwax shite stop your Goretex from being breathable? I use my Goretex as a liner, cos my Field Jacket has more pockets, if its not breathable, its just like wearing the old issue crisp bag
  13. I like to follow it up after good clean with a darn good pressing on the "cotton" setting of my iron.

Obviously it totally ruins it's waterproof qualities but it doesn't half look ******* neat.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. 30' wash sorts it out if its grafted, hang dry, other than that it doesn't need feck all else