Cold Weather - what are your coping mechanisms?

As it happens, said son has just been disconnected, perhaps for 5 days.
Mum of course..."You'd better pack a bag and come home"
My face =:rolleyes:
He replies:
"No need Mum...Just apply Field Drills..it's sound"
My face =:D

Getting a bit nippy around here and I could see my breath when I woke up this morning.

A brisk stroll to the pub worked wonders.

Bloody cold here -12C and only canned Heineken to drink. Still could be worse I could be in UK.

Timed central heating. 1 hour in the morning, by the time breakfast is over, heating shuts down, but our super insulated pad stays warm for hours. by then its lunch, and as you know, kitchens keep themselves warm, and the TV in the cook house is quite adequate, afternoons is for house jobs, and the bathroom radiator is linked to the hot water system, not the heating, which means that when washing up kicks it in, the bathroom rad heats up that keeps the upstairs warm. ( door kept open) Evenings in the living room, its again timed heating. on at 1800 of at 1900 and on again at 2000hrs. and shut down at 2100hrs. at 2200hrs or thereabouts, bedtime. As for any outside work, dress up like an Eskimo,

Walking the rural Essington & Wyrley canal is bracing, with a small café about 1.5 miles away in the village, its a tidy walk, hot pot of tea, a cake or two, a bit of light shopping, and back the same way. Good exercise, and return to a warm house.

My old JHW over a thick cotton lumberjack shirt, and a thick padded jacket, long johns under thick cotton strides, thin cotton socks under thick work socks, all in a pair of heavy chunky walking boots. Gloves green, as issued ( Yes I still have a pair) and a thick woollen lined waterproof German army style Titfer, ( Bought in Bavaria some years ago) finishes off the traditional OAP out on the town look.

One thing the army teaches you, how to keep warm, and never having to suffer cold again, ever.

If you are going north of Hadrian`s wall try this otherwise get a thicker polo shirt you bunch of fannies.

cymraeg

War Hero
I used to be a pro at this, having spent long Michigan winters - but now, I've become a bit of a lightweight after all the last few mild winters here.

I know I will be off to warmer climes soon, but was talking to a Scottish couple and they said they felt colder now than in the last few years - and yeah, the cafe's heating system quit apparently - so it was colder insider than outside. That's what it felt like anyways.

Layering in clothes is usually the trick for me, but even that felt inadequate.
Dunno as I fuxking loves the cold. The colder the better. If I need a jacket a nice down number so it's still quite light.

The heat tho and I'm a puddle if it's over 15 deg c. Typical welsh red head.

And before any witty fucker pipes up, it's not ginger is African sunset.

Hexi Bloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
165 posts on ARRSE and nobody mentioned the Chinese Fighting Suit?

Or did I miss it?

Cor I remember them, I slept a few nights wearing the old Chinese Fighting Suit, reason being my 58 patten doss bag was almost transparent! It only had 4 feathers inside it and three of them were wet! Kids today...don't know their born.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Find a nice warm sheep to curl up with. You then have food, warmth and a shag!

I used to be a pro at this, having spent long Michigan winters - but now, I've become a bit of a lightweight after all the last few mild winters here.

I know I will be off to warmer climes soon, but was talking to a Scottish couple and they said they felt colder now than in the last few years - and yeah, the cafe's heating system quit apparently - so it was colder insider than outside. That's what it felt like anyways.

Layering in clothes is usually the trick for me, but even that felt inadequate.
A softie jacket and beanie hat you massive tart.

Embrace the cold. One of life’s greatest pleasures is washing your hands in cold water on a freezing morning.
Soups, stews and a warm missus in knitwear keeping you warm while you hibernate. What more could you want?

Latest Threads