Cold weather running gear?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Zarathustra, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend some good cold weather running gear? I'm not planning on running across the Arctic or anything like that but I'm in dire need of some decent jogging bottom type affairs and my Helly Hanson lifa tops aren't really upto the weather at the moment and are getting a bit old and tatty.
  2. Borrow some Ron Hills from your missus. ;)
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Ron Hills, a daft hat and some thin gloves. Run a bit faster. It's not that cold anyway.
  4. What he said plus a running bear fleece top and socks.

Oh and a cheap £15 yellow windproof thing from sports locker.
  5. Reasonable running kit can be had most places these days. My recent running addition is a Keela top :)
  6. Ronhills, Hillwalking socks, Long sleeve wicking T Shirt, Lightweight windproof jacket, Thin gloves, Thin hat only when baltic, also something flourescent.

HH Lifas (long sleeves) are fine, but you need 2 layers in this weather, so extra t shirt or jacket on top.
  7. That's the look I've been going for! Well, I'm still in shorts rather than Ron Hills, but the daft hat + gloves (+ thermal top) look is what I've been pulling off. I think it scares the dog walkers.
  8. Get down to Lidl or Aldi as they both do running tops and jackets very cheap, I bought some a couple of months ago and yesterday I went out in -5 and was absolutely fine.
  9. Cheers for the replies guys (hey that rhymes), guess I'll need to take a trip to up & running tomorrow for some nice tight Ron Hill rapist pants
  10. Nothing beats the stench of a pair of Ron Hills.
  11. Do remember to slightly squat, pull a rapist face, and rub your thighs provocatively when wearing Ron Hills. It works a treat at showing you're a committed athlete. This especially applies by schools, they'll consider you a perfect role model.
  12. What he said. I wear a thin gore-tex hat (designed for cyclists) which takes the chill away from my bald slap. 2 layers is about right in the current weather.
  13. I must be a human radiator - I'm just fine in shorts + a long sleeved thermal top. A bit chilly to begin with, but gets just right as I warm up in the first 5 mins or so. That said, it's only been -2 or so here.
  14. Cutting the bottom off a plastic super market bag, you then wear it like a T shirt, over a T shirt, but under a sweatshirt, this works great in extremely cold weather, at present we are still in Newcastle BBQ weather, wear a windproof and waterproof running jacket.
  15. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

I'm reviewing an Underarmour long sleeved 'cold gear' top from RVOps at the moment and whilst I've not been running in it I'd say it'd work quite well. It's nice and warm and I've been wearing a lot recently with no noticeable stink issues!