Cold War Target Map (anticipated)

I found this A3 overlay (pic) whilst sorting out some old papers. It's a projected target map of a Soviet Nuclear attack on the UK, from the 1980's. Triangles = groundburst. Diamonds = airburst.
There are some obvious targets and some less obvious. Most of the densely populated parts of the UK would have been badly hit. In the 80's I was just outside Stanstead so things would have been quick, at least. I hope the photo comes out well.
Edit: the map was not classified and I don't know whether the map shows the targets for one attack or those struck over the course of a series of attacks.
20150922_143155.jpg

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Bit scary - one of those places is across a field from where I grew up...

You say it's from the 80s but some of the targets seem redundant by then. Eg IIRC burtonwood Nr Liverpool was just a cadet training area by then

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Every town I have lived in is within a mile or two of a target, Hayes near Heathrow, Northwood Hills near Northwood Hq and Dunstable sandwiched between luton and RAF standbridge near Leighton buzzard. Halfway across the small county there is also chicksands.
I showed the map to my 17 twin boys a few minutes back and they asked how could I face each day knowing that there could be a nuclear war.
Just the same as now I told them, more countries have them, old adversaries are still there, just under different and/or using old pre communist names.
I told them that I reckon the world got a lot more dangerous when the iron curtain lifted and the Cold War went into a different phase.
It would be nice to see what targets the uk would fire at in the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union, having such a large land mass at its height would mean that quite a substantial amount of people could survive the initial blasts etc etc and command and control could come from anywhere in the union.

A visit to the "Secret Bunker" near Middlewich (Hack Green) is a very sobering experience. Especially the damage radius and fatality calculator circular slide rule.

Home

Some time ago our local history group did a tour around our village anti-aircraft site (now hidden in a wood) where a batter of AA guns were expected to attempt to shoot down Russian bombers heading for Merseyside.

It would be nice to see what targets the uk would fire at in the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union, having such a large land mass at its height would mean that quite a substantial amount of people could survive the initial blasts etc etc and command and control could come from anywhere in the union.
Said it before, say it again - we had no targets in the USSR, the sole role of the nuclear force was to ensure that whatever happened to us, France got bombed into the stone age.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am sure it's been said on this forum before that in a sunshine bucket flinging contest, UK would have been the sunniest place on the planet in terms of megatonnage per square mile.

ACAB

On ROPS
On ROPs
I notice that both Folkestone and Dover were to be subjected to ground bursts. Would only add value to the place.

I notice that both Folkestone and Dover were to be subjected to ground bursts. Would only add value to the place.
The was a Russian Sub in Folkestone about ten years ago. Absolutely archaic. If the build quality was reflected in their weapons, we had nothing to worry about.

ACAB

On ROPS
On ROPs
The was a Russian Sub in Folkestone about ten years ago. Absolutely archaic. If the build quality was reflected in their weapons, we had nothing to worry about.
I've been on it!

I completely agree. it was a 'November' Class if I remember rightly. My dog's basket was bigger than the Captain's Cabin, the crew strung themselves from hammocks between the torpedoes and machinery and the cookhouse (bearing in mind sub crews were, comparatively very well fed), seemed to consist of an oven, a grill and a hotplate the size of a fag packet.

I have a 1:50,000 invasion map of SE Kent somewhere, I will try and dig it out. the only buildings marked on the map were schools and hospitals.

Last edited:
I am sure it's been said on this forum before that in a sunshine bucket flinging contest, UK would have been the sunniest place on the planet in terms of megatonnage per square mile.
Some targets seem to be worth a groundburst and an airburst. Some in that category are obvious targets but some less so (to me) - Sculthorpe?*
It is a sobering map. Southern England would have been a wasteland.

*Wiki says a major USAF base.

What on earth would they want to target Dundonald (South Ayshire) for? Prestwick and Machrihanish I can understand but RAF Dundonald closed in 1945 and the Army moved out in 1952. It thought it was only a crappy relief landing field ...on did we have something significant hidden away???

I did hear that the Russians also used any TA establishment as target criteria including some WW1 drill and assembly sheds