Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cold war retreads - slag us off here.

Could we keep the slagging of those older re-joiners in one place so that other threads can stay on topic?

Now, just to get you going - can I still wear a my own steel helmet? :)

Up to you what you do in the privacy of your own home!! You wouldn't want to wear it out would you? The headband and chin strap are more uncomfortable than the present lid.

EX_STAB said:
Could we keep the slagging of those older re-joiners in one place so that other threads can stay on topic?

Now, just to get you going - can I still wear a my own steel helmet? :)

Yes but only if you put a scrim net over it and a large piece of rubber around the edge.

My joining instructions say Mk 5 or Mk6 helmet and cover though*. Do I get a choice? I like that sensation of having the helmet bounce up and down with the spike hitting the top of my skull....

* Seriously - they actually do say this! :)

You're a lazy, low life wannabe, has been, probably deeply unfit and incontinent, committment phobe who has nothing nothing to offer to us men of toady who know it all and have the t-shirt to prove it....you vaccuuos, malodouress pervert!!!!!!!!!! :x :roll: Are you looking for just the five minute argument or the full course?

Ah, the good old days.

When a drill night was useful, a weekend was fun, when I went home on Sunday evening full of bonhomie and yet tired, safe in the knowledge that I had done something useful and did it with some nice people.

When 'Camp' was a means to put all that training into good use and the regulars welcomed us with open arms to reinforce them by a well organised and planned integration of effort. When MTDs were not in short supply, because they knew that the cost of running a Unit with all of the infrastructure and regular salaries was actually less than the all the TA personnel of the unit ever claimed put together - valued, and value for money.

When life had a purpose other than a blind focus on giving up everything for an unpopular war (even Obama doesn't like it now), and coming back to nothing.

When the regular Army let the TA run itself, not interfering with barge pole length screwdrivers into every nook and cranny.

When we had some kit.

When we had some landrovers and even looked and felt like a living Unit.

When we had a clear purpose.

Isn't progress great?

Keep on talking about the old days, that's what I say. You make me feel young. You make me remember just how shit the kit used to be (*), just how rudderless we were once the wall came down and a bunch of sleepy old fuckers wandered aimlessly in circles muttering about BAOR, the SLR and gun fucking groups rather than trying to do something useful. But they fucked off - or were fucked off and things got better.

When I tell the youngsters that it a lot of ways we've never had it so good I mean it. Kit, opportunities, what we can do on weekends and camps ... never better.

I will now return you to your normal OOTS "This is what's shit about today" programming.

(*) All of it, no exceptions. There's a reason we all bought pouches, bergans, trops, smocks etc ...)

But you werent a Cold War Warrior were you Ex-Stab ?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the guys in BAOR, those in the, amongst others, gun and missile batterys, the regiment upon regiment of armour and infantry pickled silly morn till night, the mustachioed Royals hanging round the Northern Flank annually, the hordes of logistical support elements stationed mere hours away from the 3rd shock....they were the Cold War Warriors, I think in terms of possible deployment, you slotted somewhere between Romiley Sea Cadets and Lord Baden Powells long since retired gardener

reni_77 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the guys in BAOR, those in the, amongst others, gun and missile batterys, the regiment upon regiment of armour and infantry pickled silly morn till night, the mustachioed Royals hanging round the Northern Flank annually, the hordes of logistical support elements stationed mere hours away from the 3rd shock....they were the Cold War Warriors, I think in terms of possible deployment, you slotted somewhere between Romiley Sea Cadets and Lord Baden Powells long since retired gardener

British Army Order of Battle 1989

The following order of battle is extracted from regiments.org (specifically the location data extracted from the national archive), and a question in Parliamentary Hansard about the role of TA units.

The British Army had 2 Forward Edge of Battle Divisions, the 1st and 4th. These would be the “front line” of the BAOR. The 3rd Division was the tactical reserve, without any major TA reinforcements, it was lighter, but much more mobile than the 1st and 4th. The 2nd Division was the deep reserve, almost entirely TA, and totally airmobile, they would counter any major penetration.

The Strategic Reserve at home comprised 3 Brigades ready for deployment to world trouble spots. The 3rd Commando Brigade was largely formed of Royal Marines and the 5th Airborne Brigade was comprised of Paratroopers. The 1st Infantry Brigade was the a home based Armour-Mechanised formation, and included the highest priority TA Battalion in the army, 1 Wessex, which had priority above the vast majority of regular units for equipment and training.

The regional forces were a general reserve. Of note is 54 Brigade, which on mobilisation of 2nd Infantry Division assumed control of the 15 and 49 Brigade areas, and the remaining units.

In addition to the forces listed in Northern Ireland, there were also roulemont units pulled from other formations, usually 4 major units, including armoured and artillery units in the infantry role.

British Army of the Rhine (1st British Army)

Corps Troops

4th Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters (From 49th (Eastern) Infantry Brigade)

9th/12th Royal Lancers (Recce)

Berlin Brigade

1st Battalion, King’s Regiment

1st Battalion, Light Infantry

1st Battalion, Royal Highland Fusiliers

1st Battalion, Black Watch

Artillery Division

Various artillery regiments

8th Battalion, Queen’s Fusiliers (From 56th (London) Infantry Brigade)

1st Armoured Division

1st Queen’s Dragoon Guards (Recce)

4th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

10th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

15th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

7th Armoured Brigade (Fallingbostal, FRG)

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

2nd Royal Tank Regiment

1st Battalion, Staffordshire Regiment

4th Battalion, Royal Green Jackets (From 56th (London) Infantry Brigade)

12th Armoured Brigade (Osnabruck, FRG)

5th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards

4th Royal Tank Regiment

1st Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment

1st Battalion, Royal Green Jackets

22nd Armoured Brigade (Hohne, FRG)

Queen’s Own Hussars

1st Battalion, Scots Guards

2nd Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment (Celle)

4th Armoured Division

16th/5th Queen’s Royal Lancers (Recce)

11th Armoured Brigade (Minden, FRG)

3rd Royal Tank Regiment (Hemer)

2nd Battalion, Queen’s Regiment

3rd Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment

1st Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

1/51st Highland Volunteers (From 51st (Highland) Infantry Brigade) <<That was me, there. I think 4th Armoured Division was considered quite important at the time.... :D

2/51st Highland Volunteers (From 51st (Highland) Infantry Brigade)

1/52nd Lowland Volunteers (From 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Brigade)

EX_STAB said:
reni_77 said:

The following order of battle is extracted from regiments.org (specifically the location data extracted from the national archive), and a question in Parliamentary Hansard about the role of TA units.

The British Army had 2 Forward Edge of Battle Divisions, the 1st and 4th. These would be the “front line” of the BAOR. The 3rd Division was the tactical reserve, without any major TA reinforcements, it was lighter, but much more mobile than the 1st and 4th. The 2nd Division was the deep reserve, almost entirely TA, and totally airmobile, they would counter any major penetration.

The Strategic Reserve at home comprised 3 Brigades ready for deployment to world trouble spots. The 3rd Commando Brigade was largely formed of Royal Marines and the 5th Airborne Brigade was comprised of Paratroopers. The 1st Infantry Brigade was the a home based Armour-Mechanised formation, and included the highest priority TA Battalion in the army, 1 Wessex, which had priority above the vast majority of regular units for equipment and training.

The regional forces were a general reserve. Of note is 54 Brigade, which on mobilisation of 2nd Infantry Division assumed control of the 15 and 49 Brigade areas, and the remaining units.

In addition to the forces listed in Northern Ireland, there were also roulemont units pulled from other formations, usually 4 major units, including armoured and artillery units in the infantry role.

British Army of the Rhine (1st British Army)

Corps Troops

4th Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters (From 49th (Eastern) Infantry Brigade)

9th/12th Royal Lancers (Recce)

Berlin Brigade

1st Battalion, King’s Regiment

1st Battalion, Light Infantry

1st Battalion, Royal Highland Fusiliers

1st Battalion, Black Watch

Artillery Division

Various artillery regiments

8th Battalion, Queen’s Fusiliers (From 56th (London) Infantry Brigade)

1st Armoured Division

1st Queen’s Dragoon Guards (Recce)

4th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

10th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

15th Battalion, Parachute Regiment

7th Armoured Brigade (Fallingbostal, FRG)

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

2nd Royal Tank Regiment

1st Battalion, Staffordshire Regiment

4th Battalion, Royal Green Jackets (From 56th (London) Infantry Brigade)

12th Armoured Brigade (Osnabruck, FRG)

5th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards

4th Royal Tank Regiment

1st Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment

1st Battalion, Royal Green Jackets

22nd Armoured Brigade (Hohne, FRG)

Queen’s Own Hussars

1st Battalion, Scots Guards

2nd Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment (Celle)

4th Armoured Division

16th/5th Queen’s Royal Lancers (Recce)

11th Armoured Brigade (Minden, FRG)

3rd Royal Tank Regiment (Hemer)

2nd Battalion, Queen’s Regiment

3rd Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment

1st Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

1/51st Highland Volunteers (From 51st (Highland) Infantry Brigade) <<That was me, there. I think 4th Armoured Division was considered quite important at the time.... :D

2/51st Highland Volunteers (From 51st (Highland) Infantry Brigade)

1/52nd Lowland Volunteers (From 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Brigade)

Not really, all those above your unit in 4th Div,did the job full time, not between painting and decorating or deciding when was payday, before or after coronation street.

scarletto said:
EX_STAB said:
reni_77 said:

Not really, all those above your unit in 4th Div,did the job full time, not between painting and decorating or deciding when was payday, before or after coronation street.

Surprising they gave us all those rifles and vehicles then - wonder what they were for? All those mortars, MILAN, the training......

Did you kill many Russians while we were keeping the economy going on weekdays?