Cold war retreads - slag us off here.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by EX_STAB, Oct 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could we keep the slagging of those older re-joiners in one place so that other threads can stay on topic?

Now, just to get you going - can I still wear a my own steel helmet? :)
  2. only if I can wear my '68 pattern DPM-cosy :)
  3. Up to you what you do in the privacy of your own home!! You wouldn't want to wear it out would you? The headband and chin strap are more uncomfortable than the present lid.
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yes but only if you put a scrim net over it and a large piece of rubber around the edge.
  5. My joining instructions say Mk 5 or Mk6 helmet and cover though*. Do I get a choice? I like that sensation of having the helmet bounce up and down with the spike hitting the top of my skull....

* Seriously - they actually do say this! :)
  6. You're a lazy, low life wannabe, has been, probably deeply unfit and incontinent, committment phobe who has nothing nothing to offer to us men of toady who know it all and have the t-shirt to prove vaccuuos, malodouress pervert!!!!!!!!!! :x :roll: Are you looking for just the five minute argument or the full course?
  7. Freudian slip perhaps :)
  8. possibly, but I thonk ots moor lokely a trooping ear :lol:
  9. Ah, the good old days.

When a drill night was useful, a weekend was fun, when I went home on Sunday evening full of bonhomie and yet tired, safe in the knowledge that I had done something useful and did it with some nice people.

When 'Camp' was a means to put all that training into good use and the regulars welcomed us with open arms to reinforce them by a well organised and planned integration of effort. When MTDs were not in short supply, because they knew that the cost of running a Unit with all of the infrastructure and regular salaries was actually less than the all the TA personnel of the unit ever claimed put together - valued, and value for money.

When life had a purpose other than a blind focus on giving up everything for an unpopular war (even Obama doesn't like it now), and coming back to nothing.

When the regular Army let the TA run itself, not interfering with barge pole length screwdrivers into every nook and cranny.

When we had some kit.

When we had some landrovers and even looked and felt like a living Unit.

When we had a clear purpose.

Isn't progress great?
  10. Keep on talking about the old days, that's what I say. You make me feel young. You make me remember just how shit the kit used to be (*), just how rudderless we were once the wall came down and a bunch of sleepy old fuckers wandered aimlessly in circles muttering about BAOR, the SLR and gun fucking groups rather than trying to do something useful. But they fucked off - or were fucked off and things got better.

When I tell the youngsters that it a lot of ways we've never had it so good I mean it. Kit, opportunities, what we can do on weekends and camps ... never better.

I will now return you to your normal OOTS "This is what's shit about today" programming.

(*) All of it, no exceptions. There's a reason we all bought pouches, bergans, trops, smocks etc ...)
  11. But you werent a Cold War Warrior were you Ex-Stab ?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the guys in BAOR, those in the, amongst others, gun and missile batterys, the regiment upon regiment of armour and infantry pickled silly morn till night, the mustachioed Royals hanging round the Northern Flank annually, the hordes of logistical support elements stationed mere hours away from the 3rd shock....they were the Cold War Warriors, I think in terms of possible deployment, you slotted somewhere between Romiley Sea Cadets and Lord Baden Powells long since retired gardener
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Is it here that I can mention . . . . . . . mmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . the ESSSSELARRRRRRRRRR?
  14. Not really, all those above your unit in 4th Div,did the job full time, not between painting and decorating or deciding when was payday, before or after coronation street.
  15. Surprising they gave us all those rifles and vehicles then - wonder what they were for? All those mortars, MILAN, the training......

Did you kill many Russians while we were keeping the economy going on weekdays?