Cold War Photos.

The expression that says :
"Yes sir, of course sir, no I don't mind going from 8 on 2 off on a traffic point to 4 on and 1 off guarding the OC's palace and his supply of non-compo soft tut paper because he has never stagged-on in his entire *^$@#*& life"
225651_5643519475_8756_n.jpg

With 'Paddy' Keane, Salisbury Plain, 2CG Mortar Pl, 1974?

1923164_56403204475_4795858_n.jpg

None of this kit is even issued anymore, but I still have the Minolta. 2 Wessex 1979

1923164_56409414475_7505452_n.jpg

(The ex-Guardsman on the left) B Coy, 2 Wessex, recruiting display, Britwell Carnival, Slough (Come gentle bombs and rain on Slough, it's not fit for people now) 1979
225044_5997744475_89_n (3).jpg

Otterburn, Ex Crusader 80, with zee panzer attached Offiziere rifle section with B Coy.
1923164_56409409475_7439968_n.jpg

That's the first time I've seen you without your Gay Freddie Mercury tribute tasch

Did you only feel safe to come out when you got the regiment?
Haha, yep, it was when I saw the regimental band with their thigh high boots on the Tercentenary parade.
I knew then that I was amongst my own kind xxx

You joke. Following an infestation of sinus polyps, two operations to clear them and a third to straighten a turbinate, there is a hole in my septum. (Some may say, "Through which the brain was removed.")
No, that would be the Cribriform Plate.
Nasal polyps are amazing; the name is onomatopoeic.
When removed, they are dropped into a receptacle, and sound like "pol... yp!", I kid you not.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
No, that would be the Cribriform Plate.
Nasal polyps are amazing; the name is onomatopoeic.
When removed, they are dropped into a receptacle, and sound like "pol... yp!", I kid you not.
If the former is a bone between the left eye and the brain, that too is wafer thin.

(The ex-Guardsman on the left) B Coy, 2 Wessex, recruiting display, Britwell Carnival, Slough (Come gentle bombs and rain on Slough, it's not fit for people now) 1979
26FB0EF4-85F6-441B-8BBB-18CF8C2E1DF2.jpeg
I grew up on the Britwell estate. Probably why anything the army threw at me was a piece of pIss.

Best photo I’ve seen of the place.

Edit. @Andy Farman my sister says it’s about time you started paying maintenance...

Last edited:
bulldog has improved mobility, improved armour and improved firepower.
Yes, as does the latest versions of the M113. It still doesn't come close to meeting the latest standards of protection. The major issue with vehicles such as that is the shape of the hull - it has a flat bottom that cannot be effectively up armored. The US Army is updating all their flat bottom Strykers with V-hull armor packages, and all new vehicles are the Double V-Hull variant. You don't have the ground clearance to do that with vehicles designed in the 50's. The other issue. as mentioned, is that they are not high enough to mount blast resistant seats, which are typically supported from the ceiling of the vehicle. There's a reason why modern APCs are so large - these protective measures take up a lot of space.

432s and M113s are fine for support roles, but not for first line combat.

HSF

LE
Yes, as does the latest versions of the M113. It still doesn't come close to meeting the latest standards of protection. The major issue with vehicles such as that is the shape of the hull - it has a flat bottom that cannot be effectively up armored. The US Army is updating all their flat bottom Strykers with V-hull armor packages, and all new vehicles are the Double V-Hull variant. You don't have the ground clearance to do that with vehicles designed in the 50's. The other issue. as mentioned, is that they are not high enough to mount blast resistant seats, which are typically supported from the ceiling of the vehicle. There's a reason why modern APCs are so large - these protective measures take up a lot of space.

Hull techklodgy that the saffas used decades ago & we have just rediscovered it?Bloody useless deighn & development bods in MOD?

Don’t doubt any of that. I was thinking more utility type stuff like engineering support, battle taxi etc etc.

I temper back in 2009 a young, starry eyed USN reservist visibly upset in Kabul. When I asked him what was wrong, he kept asking why with so much technology the TB were still killing so many troops.

I pointed out that vehicles like MRAP were great. But Terry realised very quickly that when dealing with MRAP, all he had to do was to stack one or two more AT mines on top of his original IED and although the vehicle stayed relatively in one piece, the somersaulting vehicle would kill those inside when it finally hit the ground. He then realised new technology could quickly be overcome.

ironically, the CIED guys held the Brits and the Dutch in higher regard than their own countrymen. We knew our kit was sh*t so we stopped and did seeeps at choke points. US personnel seemed to believe their vehicles could overcome the laws of physics and they could drive through high threat areas.

I do see your point though. I just think at some point somebody is going to say there’s only so many times we can design a metal box with wheels on it, and other bolt ones such as bolt on armour or other countermeasures are the way forward.....or somebody finally realised that when you put troops in harms way they’ll be casualties .