Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

philc

LE
Meanwhile, two hundred II’s crept over the border - not that I wouldn’t have been letching.

The border was not a big issue for us it was IIs from Vietnam and smugglers of goods that we seemed to get.

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
Senn Trg Cen.JPG
Berlin Plaque5 comp.jpg
BAOR Pennant.jpg

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
Think this was a CFT, but can't remember,
45812757_174715703480546_207816489447718912_o.jpg
must have been around 1982-3 ish, Celle W.Germany. I love the way the Officers are stood on the street overseeing us :scratch:

Not my Cold War photos, but from the old man's collection which I re-discovered and had a crack at scanning in after he died. Some point in the 60s, but pre-1968 (when I came along): him and the maternal unit visiting West Berlin. (He was an MG nut.)

Somewhere in his collection are the pics of his pre-1961 visit to Moscow.

checkpoint charlie.jpg
Scan 33.jpg
mum and mg, allied checkpoint, berlin - Version 2.jpg
Scan 22.jpg

98A6BB9A-DDCC-48F5-A1BA-5C6F12312F34.jpeg

1st Bn The Royal Scots LAD, This was about Nov 89 at Rhinesalen Camp, waiting for the train flats.
Waited 2 days, got pished, ended up going back to Werl on low-loaders as the train was cancelled.
On the way back we got overtaken by loads and loads of Trabbies packed to the hilt with East German families and luggage!

View attachment 502727
1st Bn The Royal Scots LAD, This was about Nov 89 at Rhinesalen Camp, waiting for the train flats.
Waited 2 days, got pished, ended up going back to Werl on low-loaders as the train was cancelled.
On the way back we got overtaken by loads and loads of Trabbies packed to the hilt with East German families and luggage!
Reminds me of what was possibly the last 1 Div CPX before Op Granby - I was an attachment from 14 Sig Regt, and when Endex arrived, all these low loaders turned up for the Div wagons... but they'd forgotten to plan/requisition one for us, so for some bizarre reason we were ordered to track to 16 Tank Transporter Regt, rather than back to barracks in Celle, even though there wasn't much in it distance wise, and then await a low loader from there as it was a 'waifs and strays' collection point. By the time we got there, their transit accommodation was full up, so they put us up in the cab of one of the Scammell Commanders!

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Why do all our 1970s photos go brown troops?

Attachments

• sapper bern 001.jpg
    sapper bern 001.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 146

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Knife Hands! Cool. I thought only Marines did that though...

Knife Hands.JPG

philc

LE
View attachment 502727

For you the war was over.

Latest Threads