Cold War Photos.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
My bold.

Like many of that vehicle's family, they took a bit of getting used to. The drivers view was chronic. Everything inside the vehicle was sharp edged or pointy and guaranteed to cause scarring. The power steering was a bit slack, 2" or so of free play and hissed as you turned the wheel, and after turning you had to work on the wheel to get it straight again, it had a negative caster, so unlike a car it doesn't centralise itself.

The left foot pedal in the 'Clutch' position, wasn't like a normal clutch either. You manually selected a gear in advance and when you wanted that gear you banged down hard on that pedal and released it, and the gear change occured ready for selection of the next gear. If you are a bit wimpy on the pedal push, it fires back at you sending your left knee behind your ear.

A nice tight bend in a German village and a weak push of that pedal is when all the trouble starts.
He was probably only 18 too!

Choux Bun

Clanker
Ah the M110. The gun system which an elder gunner officer in the Mess at Woolwich insisted couldn't possibly have been deployed with 1 UK Armd Div 1990-91 never mind the fact that I had personally seen them. I knew why he thought that but I've often noted how much people who weren't there think they MUST know more than those who were, and I've tried to remember that as a lesson for all of us. "You weren't there man!" ;)
I was serving in HQ 3 Div, Korbecke during 1990-91 so wasn't deployed on GRANBY, however I remember it being said throughout the HQ that operational deployment of the M110 could mean only one thing - Limited Theatre Nukes, perhaps that might have been the logic used to say they weren't deployed.

<pedant>
I thought it was because they are slippy and prevent the skirt riding up the leg due to friction between the leg and the cloth of the skirt - it slips back down as the leg is lowered.
</pe... actually it's never off
Well yers, but it’s under. Ergo it can’t be anything but a slip

Here is how a Fluid Flywheel works
fluid flywheel
When the engine is started, the driving member called the impeller starts to move inside the housing containing oil. Pockets of moving driving members are completely filled with oil. Due to this, the centrifugal force forces the oil outward radially. The pockets are designed in such a way that the splashed oil will strike the pockets or vanes of the driven member. Hence. it is forced to move in the same direction. When the engine speed increases. the oil which is coming out from the pocket of the driving member strikes the pockets of the driven member with greater force. Thus, it tends the driven member to rotate at the same speed.

I was serving in HQ 3 Div, Korbecke during 1990-91 so wasn't deployed on GRANBY, however I remember it being said throughout the HQ that operational deployment of the M110 could mean only one thing - Limited Theatre Nukes, perhaps that might have been the logic used to say they weren't deployed.
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I assumed at the time was the "thinking" of the Arty type who hadn't been there, and (as hinted in my post) obviously hadn't hoisted in the fact that as Iraq wasn't a nuclear power in the usual sense, we didn't have to worry about deploying equipment which in a NATO v Warsaw pact confrontation could have meant something very different.

If the chap ever noticed the many photographs and videos of M110 guns of 32 Regt Royal Artillery in action in the Gulf, which had already appeared at that time, he probably convinced himself that they were fakes akin to the faked Apollo moon landing.

Choux Bun

Clanker
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I assumed at the time was the "thinking" of the Arty type who hadn't been there, and (as hinted in my post) obviously hadn't hoisted in the fact that as Iraq wasn't a nuclear power in the usual sense, we didn't have to worry about deploying equipment which in a NATO v Warsaw pact confrontation could have meant something very different.

If the chap ever noticed the many photographs and videos of M110 guns of 32 Regt Royal Artillery in action in the Gulf, which had already appeared at that time, he probably convinced himself that they were fakes akin to the faked Apollo moon landing.
A M110 certainly delivers the potential to ruin someone's day.

Attachments

• 34 AT GRAF088.pdf
    531.6 KB · Views: 122

Choux Bun

Clanker
Anyone watching the follow on series from Deutschland 83 and 86, Deutschland 89, Friday nights at 9 on More-4?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Anyone watching the follow on series from Deutschland 83 and 86, Deutschland 89, Friday nights at 9 on More-4?
Funnily enough, they're discussing it in the Deutschland 83 thread.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A young BRIXMIS captain has a chat after being picked up by the Soviet Army somewhere in East Germany. The hair and dress suggest somewhere in the late 1970s. I love the body language on this one.

1615226416839.png

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My take is from left to right:

Subordinate listening in, the boss delivering a firm statement, can't see the third man, BRX officer, the smiling Soviet officer possibly concealing a weapon and a Sov conscript with a WTF expression.

My take is from left to right:

Subordinate listening in, the boss delivering a firm statement, can't see the third man, BRX officer, the smiling Soviet officer possibly concealing a weapon and a Sov conscript with a WTF expression.

Why would a Soviet officer on official, uniformed business conceal a weapon?

Did they consider BRIXMIS a threat to life and have RoE?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Why would a Soviet officer on official, uniformed business conceal a weapon?

Did they consider BRIXMIS a threat to life and have RoE?

They brought in RoE in 1986 after the killing of Arthur Nicholson. Before that you were chancing your arm and hoped the bloke had got out of the right side of bed. Of course they were routinely armed with live ammunition. There is something lumpy in his right hand and it's probably not a breast.

ACAB

LE
I worked as a contractor in Afghanistan with someone who was on Granby and I can assure you they were.

They brought in RoE in 1986 after the killing of Arthur Nicholson. Before that you were chancing your arm and hoped the bloke had got out of the right side of bed. Of course they were routinely armed with live ammunition. There is something lumpy in his right hand and it's probably not a breast.

How was Arthur Nicholson killed?

Were they routinely armed with concealed weapons?

Latest Threads