Cold War Photos.

Apr '86 was a busy month. Bombing at the La Belle disco in West Berlin, US airstrike on Libya and then Chernobyl went into meltdown.

Cue gathering of young vegetation along the Polish border to gather info on the radioactive fall-out.

Never a dull moment. ;-)

Yes, the shooting down of KAL 007 in Sep '83 caused something of a stir in West Berlin, too.
Yup. I was TDY a FT Sill when that happened. Much consternation at the Reagan White House that day I dare say.

I can't remember the exact date, but the morning that the Americans bombed Libya, I think it was April 86, the Sovs, being allies of Ghaddafi, started making noises on their side of the border.
We were immediately crashed out, and I remember our Stallies were loading up live ammo, and the Dutch tank battalion at Hohne were also bombing up.
On that day, the Cold War became a little warmer.View attachment 552038View attachment 552039
I was stationed in Hohne at the time and I don't remember that. However, to be fair, we were probably already deployed on exercise anyway as that was our default condition.

A wee bit of squeaky bum time in 1968 when they invaded the Czech republic. As a young 18 year old squaddie I wondered what was going to happen

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A wee bit of squeaky bum time in 1968 when they invaded the Czech republic. As a young 18 year old squaddie I wondered what was going to happen

The bloke who tapped me on the shoulder to join BRIXMIS was a Capt in the DDR in 1968 and watched the deployment.

He still took me in (on his third two year tour) even though my then wife had dropped a G&T on his foot.

As I was an ex JLRE I had done a signals course and was assigned as a ferret commander in 23 Amphi. with Scouse Sherlock as my driver.

What we would call “being attached“ I believe.
No. TDY involves being away from duty station for any purpose. In US Army terms you need "orders" to go anywhere away from duty station, especially if it might involve travel and/or a claim. Those orders are the basis for a claim. You would need orders to go to another place for a conference for example. They don't get to swan about as much as we do.

No. TDY involves being away from duty station for any purpose. In US Army terms you need "orders" to go anywhere away from duty station, especially if it might involve travel and/or a claim. Those orders are the basis for a claim. You would need orders to go to another place for a conference for example. They don't get to swan about as much as we do.
Bit like Part 2 orders then.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I was stationed in Hohne at the time and I don't remember that. However, to be fair, we were probably already deployed on exercise anyway as that was our default condition.

You missed all the fun then.
I remember the Cloggies going mental and getting their union involved, they didn't want to go to war.

You missed all the fun then.
I remember the Cloggies going mental and getting their union involved, they didn't want to go to war.

I went on a joint exercise with the Danes and the Germans, but the start was postponed as their football teams were playing each other in some international cup game, and they refused to leave the NAAFI until the match was over.

It wasn't just the juniors, either.

Even the Danish CO was in there, wearing a big red and white top hat, featuring protruding arms which clapped when he pulled the chin string.

Latest Threads