Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

Lower_Jumper

Old-Salt
I did some patrols in the DMZ in 1988
We were still doing live combat patrols in 1990. We used to keep score in the high tower on GP Oullette - Landmines 2 / NK 0.

Attachments

• GPO III.jpg
    GPO III.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 198
I can't remember the exact date, but the morning that the Americans bombed Libya, I think it was April 86, the Sovs, being allies of Ghaddafi, started making noises on their side of the border.
We were immediately crashed out, and I remember our Stallies were loading up live ammo, and the Dutch tank battalion at Hohne were also bombing up.
On that day, the Cold War became a little warmer.
C and B CRASH 86_LI.jpg
O and S_LI.jpg

I can't remember the exact date, but the morning that the Americans bombed Libya, I think it was April 86, the Sovs, being allies of Ghaddafi, started making noises on their side of the border.
We were immediately crashed out, and I remember our Stallies were loading up live ammo, and the Dutch tank battalion at Hohne were also bombing up.
On that day, the Cold War became a little warmer.View attachment 552038View attachment 552039
Stunning badge, well done the Queens Own Hurrars!

On that day, the Cold War became a little warmer.View attachment 552038View attachment 552039
reminds me of
Gad sir I appear to have lost me leg
Gad sir, it appears you have.

Yep i was at a sleepy hollow RAF camp however because we had the pleasure of having yanks, i was dragged from bed and given THAT rifle despite not having seen it in 4 years.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Apr '86 was a busy month. Bombing at the La Belle disco in West Berlin, US airstrike on Libya and then Chernobyl went into meltdown.

Cue gathering of young vegetation along the Polish border to gather info on the radioactive fall-out.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, as the Cold war nearly got very hot in 1983, the Troggs found time for a brew and a banjo in a Rastatte 'somewhere in West Germany', note the state of the art 200 gallon water trailer (towed by an RL of course):

graf.jpg

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Meanwhile, as the Cold war nearly got very hot in 1983, the Troggs found time for a brew and a banjo in a Rastatte 'somewhere in West Germany', note the state of the art 200 gallon water trailer (towed by an RL of course):

View attachment 552151

Yes, the shooting down of KAL 007 in Sep '83 caused something of a stir in West Berlin, too.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The Jaguar video brought back memories of RAF Coltishall followed by 2 Sqn at Laarbruch .
They use Jaguars at RAF Cosford for training the aircraft mechs and techs, they used to do
groundruns and taxi them to teach the students ground handling possibly still do. I haven't been over that way for a while.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads