Cold War Photos.

Cold War? Cold War? This cold, was it?
View attachment 541761

This pic was taken with my back to our flat in Scottweg. The S-Bahn ran in the cutting beyond the fence. It got to -20C that winter, nobody talked about 'wind chill' in those days.

E2A: these are from scanned negatives and quite poor.

Interesting contrail in that picture. Either an airliner with some airsick passengers or a Cold War fighter jet?

Cold War? Cold War? This cold, was it?

View attachment 541760
The pic above is Scottweg in Charlottenburg, a street of MQs, two storey flats. This was the winter of 78-79 and the lazy Boxheads have yet to sweep the streets. At the end of this street, turn left and across the U-Bhf forecourt, round and across the car park for the Olympic Stadium and I was at work. Close enough that I used to go home for lunch (newly married you see).
View attachment 541761

This pic was taken with my back to our flat in Scottweg. The S-Bahn ran in the cutting beyond the fence. It got to -20C that winter, nobody talked about 'wind chill' in those days.

E2A: these are from scanned negatives and quite poor.
Lived on the Heer Strasse and Dickensweg on my first tour, Scottweg second time around. Used to wander down to the Ecke at the bottom of a summers evening for a 'limo'. Watch all the Berliners turn up for a weekend in there little houses. Nice area.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Lived on the Heer Strasse and Dickensweg on my first tour, Scottweg second time around. Used to wander down to the Ecke at the bottom of a summers evening for a 'limo'. Watch all the Berliners turn up for a weekend in there little houses. Nice area.

I had quarters in Kladow and then two others on Hardy Weg. The Berlin Budget minivan would go via all of the places you mention on the way to work.

sidsnot

War Hero
We lived at Theodor Heuss Platz opposite Edinburgh House. Going into East Berlin was memorable. The difference between East and West was obvious. The former was left in ruins and the latter was renewed. My father having to wear his No 2s. Being “gawped at” (his words) as we walked about.

We lived at Theodor Heuss Platz opposite Edinburgh House. Going into East Berlin was memorable. The difference between East and West was obvious. The former was left in ruins and the latter was renewed. My father having to wear his No 2s. Being “gawped at” (his words) as we walked about.
aka Naafi Platz.

I had quarters in Kladow and then two others on Hardy Weg. The Berlin Budget minivan would go via all of the places you mention on the way to work.
We had a thing in my time called the Route Bus. It did a circuit of Stadium - Dickensweg - Scottweg until something like 2300. Driven by a Mojo.

I've just looked on Google Street View and the restaurant at the junction of Scottweg and Flatowallee has changed it's name. It used to be the Eulenspiegel - good solid Prussian food. The obvious house of ill repute on Flatowallee is still blurred out = still in business.

Very happy memories as a yoof. Bet it was the best posting for military. Especially at that time.
It's funny the things you remember: in my time the PMC of the Garrison Sgts' Mess was a WO1 from the Cheshires, David somebody. He was a humourless individual, whereas his wife Mavis was the life and soul of the party. Together they were known as Dave the Grave and Mave the Rave. Happy times indeed!

I've just looked on Google Street View and the restaurant at the junction of Scottweg and Flatowallee has changed it's name. It used to be the Eulenspiegel - good solid Prussian food. The obvious house of ill repute on Flatowallee is still blurred out = still in business.
Bel Ami. Berlin's most exclusive brothel (and right next to the married quarters!)
An aquiantance of mine once saved up and spent a night there. It cost him the equivalent of a months wages. He said it was worth every penny!

Kaiser's supermarket opposite the Naafi was very good, and the there was Joe's Bierhaus of course.
During my first tour,I used to pop into Kaisers,to pick up a couple of 2.5 litre bottles of Lambrusco (the real deal) for the weekend. Unfortunately, once opened they were not re-sealable so... They also did wonderful cheeses as well.

We had a thing in my time called the Route Bus. It did a circuit of Stadium - Dickensweg - Scottweg until something like 2300. Driven by a Mojo.
Brixmis had it's own Mercedes 16 seater,that did a morning,lunchtime and evening run for Mission members.

Bel Ami. Berlin's most exclusive brothel (and right next to the married quarters!)
An aquiantance of mine once saved up and spent a night there. It cost him the equivalent of a months wages. He said it was worth every penny!
I never heard that it was so expensive. dodgy sources, eh? Anyway, from the link you kindly provided:

Strong criticism of this closure practice, which was exercised in the Berlin district of Tempelhof-Schöneberg as well as in Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf , came from the ranks of the Federal Association of Sexual Services. V. and the Hydra e. V. , who saw the "introduction of restricted areas through the back door" only in commercial areas by closing the residential brothels and simultaneously issuing operating permits. [5]
Ho ho ho.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Brixmis had it's own Mercedes 16 seater,that did a morning,lunchtime and evening run for Mission members.

Occasionally at 3am I'd get back from a tour, rather smelly, off load the gear upstairs and just gate-crash a bedroom in Dorset House Officers' Mess. Sadly, there was never a woman in the bed.

I never heard that it was so expensive. dodgy sources, eh? Anyway, from the link you kindly provided:

Strong criticism of this closure practice, which was exercised in the Berlin district of Tempelhof-Schöneberg as well as in Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf , came from the ranks of the Federal Association of Sexual Services. V. and the Hydra e. V. , who saw the "introduction of restricted areas through the back door" only in commercial areas by closing the residential brothels and simultaneously issuing operating permits. [5]
Ho ho ho.
One of our better guitar-players seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time there. How the hell he could afford it beats me. Rougher elements, of course, made do with an occasional bath.

Incidentally, I once went for a jolly with one of the Tours, and they took an unusual route to the CP, passing a very fit-looking lady Tennis Player on, I think, Eberstrasse - complete with racquet - to whom they waved, and she returned the compliment. She was a bit of an institution, apparently, but the HIV/AIDS thing took her off the streets . Berlin was full of surprises.

Latest Threads