Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

B42T

LE
The old 5p piece was also the same size as 1DM and would work in German vending machines.

Allegedly..
It did up until about 88ish, maybe slightly earlier.
Always handy if you needed some smokes while out and had neglected to take enough.

Anyway you lucky sods who had the fortune to be on the other side so to speak, keep the info and photos coming on what is the best thread on arrse.

All I have is photos of 7 years worth of sitting in fields with a Rapier kit. Although I was lucky in sense to have worked with both the RA and RAF Regt.

It was a terrible time. I hope it never comes back
I may be looking at it through rose tinted specs, but I completely disagree. As far as I’m concerned I came away from BAOR a much more experienced individual, with shed loads of happy memories and also a German lass that I have been very happily married to for well over 40 years. That said; thank God the ‘War to end all Wars’ never materialised, as I certainly wouldn’t be here to post this and most probably, neither would the Internet!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Always handy if you needed some smokes while out and had neglected to take enough.

Anyway you lucky sods who had the fortune to be on the other side so to speak, keep the info and photos coming on what is the best thread on arrse.

All I have is photos of 7 years worth of sitting in fields with a Rapier kit. Although I was lucky in sense to have worked with both the RA and RAF Regt.

It was my best job ever and I was only mid 20s. Working with very skilled JNCOs, SNCOs and WOs. I had utter faith in them and they never let me down. A wonderful lesson in life and people, on both sides. Useful stuff for Bosnia in 1993 and still using those lessons today on a daily basis.

All my photos of Berlin etc are of course pre-digital and in photo albums.

I can see about scanning the ‘greatest hits’...

E

Was it in your remit to take shots of everyday stuff? Cars, people, streets etc? If so, they’d be good to see.

I did a lot of that. Partly as part of my job and partly because I’d just done a photography course.

In fact I found Berlin so fascinating i subsequently took a BA in history.

I’ll dig them out.

B42T

LE
It was my best job ever and I was only mid 20s. Working with very skilled JNCOs, SNCOs and WOs. I had utter faith in them and they never let me down. A wonderful lesson in life and people, on both sides. Useful stuff for Bosnia in 1993 and still using those lessons today on a daily basis.

Aye, just rub it in why don't you :-D

I did a lot of that. Partly as part of my job and partly because I’d just done a photography course.

In fact I found Berlin so fascinating i subsequently took a BA in history.

I’ll dig them out.

Great stuff. I’d be particularly interested in the Berlin stuff as I know the city quite well.
I must’ve been about 20-25 times & have friends there.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Aye, just rub it in why don't you :-D

You're welcome. You got to meet some superb people who know what they're doing and do stuff you will remember for ever.

And not get damaged or killed.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A few more:

Attachments

• img360e.jpg
    img360e.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 207

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Bottom right looks like Putin.

Putin was the KGB Major in the Dresden station at the time. The photos are from top left:

Checkpoint Bravo.

Bombed centre of Dresden.

Colditz Castle.

A Soviet traffic regulator with a 'Pajolsta stick'.

miner69er

Old-Salt
I like the way your climbing up what looks like a wall. I became an expert tree climber and knew my favourite trees from Spandauer forest to Gross Gleinecke.
Mainly keeping an eye on the GKM. Sometimes we would be lucky and get to do a heli patrol and could look into the camps on the other side of the border. The ride back to Gatow was always interesting with a quick low flight over 'tits out' beach and teh obvious auto rotation drill for the newbies over the airfield.
Loved Berlin

Latest Threads