Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's been a while but I go for:

Top Left - ACRV M-1979 (2)
Top Right - ACRV M-1974 (1)
Bottom Left - 2S3 sp 152mm and Zil-131 truck
Bottom Right - East German IMR

Yes. 3 Sov bits of Arty kit (I'd call them ACRV 2 on a BTR, ACRV 3 on a MTLB chassis , 2S3 and a Zil 131). We remembered the East German sapper gear IMR with the moniker 'I Move Rocks', looks like a T-55 chassis.

As you say, it's been a while. Still remember most of this stuff but have forgotten what I had for supper last night.

Top left BTR60 PB

No its not...

No gun and and it has a turret fitted with optics for Artillery Observation and fire control. It's an ACRV M-1979 (2). Four of them in a towed artillery battalion (one per battery).

This a BTR60PB - note the gun

BTR-60PB_8x8_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_Russia_Russian_army_defence_industry_military_technology_640_001.jpg

QRK2

LE
No its not...

No gun and and it has a turret fitted with optics for Artillery Observation and fire control. It's an ACRV M-1979 (2). Four of them in a towed artillery battalion (one per battery).

BTR-60PB_8x8_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_Russia_Russian_army_defence_industry_military_technology_640_001.jpg
1V18 is my day, IIRC the ACRV names were used earlier on. We also used 1V12-16 for the tracked ones.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Top left BTR60 PB

No. It's an Artillery Comd and Recce Vehicle. Names keep changing as you will have seen. When I took the piccie it was known as an ACRV 2, its NATO title in 1985. It is a BTR 60 chassis, though.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
1V18 is my day, IIRC the ACRV names were used earlier on. We also used 1V12-16 for the tracked ones.

I seem to remember the nomenclature changing some side of 1990.

I did various things (not BRIXMIS) which involved being good at this sort of thing in the 1980. I left in 1990, after whcih I understand that as more information came out out after the fall of the Berlin Wall, some names and stuff were revised or amended. I understand that the Soviets called all their artillery after flowers or something (Carnation etc)...

MInd you I still have my old notebooks from various courses and as I make models of some of these things for living these days they still come in handy... :)

No its not...

Didn't it have a capability to have a sagger ATGW fixed in the turret as well?

Can I assume that the Jetta (?) in the TL image is a car from the West? What was the form for Westies visiting the East?

German civvies could cross from West Berlin into the East after Willi Brandt’s ‘Ostpolitik’.

They could only take 25 Deutschmarks into the East. Of this, 5 paid for their visa, for the rest they were given Ostmarks at the rate of 1:1. IIRC they couldn’t take it out. I guess it was similar if they were visiting relatives in East Germany, though of course there were also three civilian transit corridors from West Germany to West Berlin.

The coins were made of a lightweight alloy more suited to being a laundry token. I didn’t keep any, which I regret now.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Didn't it have a capability to have a sagger ATGW fixed in the turret as well?

The ACRV is the Soviet equivalent of a Royal Artillery FOO wagon., so I can't imagine why they would fit a Sagger to it. I never saw one on a BTR-60, either.

In my day, there were 3 types. ACRV1 was truck mounted (I picked up the technical stuff about it on a rubbish tip out the back of the barracks at dark o'clock), the ACRV2 was the BTR type and ACRV3 was tracked and MTLB. ACRV3 had a ruby laser range finder.

However, T-64B and T-80 could fire a long range ATGW down the barrel.

Last edited:
The ACRV is the Soviet equivalent of a Royal Artillery FOO wagon., so I can't imagine why they would fit a Sagger to it. I never saw one on a BTR-60, either.

In my day, there were 3 types. ACRV1 was truck mounted (I picked up the technical stuff about it on a rubbish tip out the back of the barracks at dark o'clock), the ACRV2 was the BTR type and ACRV3 was tracked and MTLB. ACRV3 had a ruby laser range finder.

However, T-64B and T-80 could fire a long range ATGW down the barrel.
You are of course correct.
Over 40 years ago I would have known that, but hell I would still engage. I did consult my Infantry Aide Memoire, which is massive, how the hell did we carry the thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6104.JPG
    IMG_6104.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 77

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I did various things (not BRIXMIS) which involved being good at this sort of thing in the 1980. I left in 1990, after whcih I understand that as more information came out out after the fall of the Berlin Wall, some names and stuff were revised or amended. I understand that the Soviets called all their artillery after flowers or something (Carnation etc)...

MInd you I still have my old notebooks from various courses and as I make models of some of these things for living these days they still come in handy... :)

Yes, flowers. In the same way that British tanks always start with a 'C'. Comet, Cromwell, Centurion, Chieftain and Challenger, for example.

Yes, flowers. In the same way that British tanks always start with a 'C'. Comet, Cromwell, Centurion, Chieftain and Challenger, for example.
I’ve mentioned it before, but in the early 80s UK and France put together a project team for a joint future MBT.
The question of a name cropped up. The UK delegate pointed out British tank names began with ‘C’ and felt the name ‘Crecy’ would be apt for this collaborative effort. :)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’ve mentioned it before, but in the early 80s UK and France put together a project team for a joint future MBT.
The question of a name cropped up. The UK delegate pointed out British tank names began with ‘C’ and felt the name ‘Crecy’ would be apt for this collaborative effort. :)

Thanks. I'd forgotten that one.

Latest Threads