Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Back on topic. Some proper train-spotting in the DDR:

Attachments

• img358.jpg
    img358.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 150

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

lert

LE
Back on topic. Some proper train-spotting in the DDR:
Can I assume that the Jetta (?) in the TL image is a car from the West? What was the form for Westies visiting the East?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Can I assume that the Jetta (?) in the TL image is a car from the West? What was the form for Westies visiting the East?

It's a Wessie car from Hannover. They could cross the border at checkpoints to visit relatives, bringing useful gifts and clothes. I'd guess that one crossed at Helmstedt. There was a civilian lane controlled by the DDR authorities and a military lane for the likes of us controlled by the Soviets. I went through to Helmstedt just the once on duty in order to use the 'scrambler' telephone because we'd seen something that I thought needed reporting to Berlin asp. I went through perhaps half a dozen times in civvies with my family.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A few bits of kit to keep you on your toes:

Attachments

• img359e.jpg
    img359e.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 143
Didn't we have to change our Exercise names a few years ago after someone had to tell a soldier's parents he died on ex PURPLE SPUNK or some such?
Juno Beach was originally codenamed Jelly Beach until a Canadian General kicked off
You want me to say your son died on Jelly beach?

Many a recruit wearing those would have been near the point of combustion when being bounced around the square in quick time, particularly when marking time.
Years after they stopped issuing them, I rented mine out for the guys on 'Extras' (the ones you always got before a mess function) to work at the Sgts Mess

A few bits of kit to keep you on your toes:

It's been a while but I go for:

Top Left - ACRV M-1979 (2)
Top Right - ACRV M-1974 (1)
Bottom Left - 2S3 sp 152mm and Zil-131 truck
Bottom Right - East German IMR

Barrack dress trousers? one of the worst abominations ever forced upon the British soldier.

Seconded....

...but beloved of shiny arsed desk drivers...

Latest Threads