Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

Myself and Mrs Sig were there in 81, i got out in April, and remember seeing those guns trundling about.. i have some photoes taken from the mens block, of 22 Sigs that overlooked the main drag by the HQ buildings of a squadron of those cannons, taken from the upper floors.

We went on a very interesting visit to the fence with blokes from 22 Signals and went on a fun Sunday 'stroll' with beer and food at the end too. They really looked after me .

P.s Sorry about the Clansman battery I dropped - nothing was leaking out of it as far as I could tell.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
We went on a very interesting visit to the fence with blokes from 22 Signals and went on a fun Sunday 'stroll' with beer and food at the end too. They really looked after me .

P.s Sorry about the Clansman battery I dropped - nothing was leaking out of it as far as I could tell.
It's ok it probably didn't work anyway

Touch a tree in Germany and the cursed Forst meisters came down on you like a ton of bricks. I went off area on one of the smaller 3 Div training areas (Musheda(!)) near Soest, and destroyed a few piles of cut timber with my gaggle of APCs, it cost quite a lot in compensation.
Now as an aside didn't the tree on the BATUS training area get bolted together on a regular basis as it was one of the few landmarks
Weren’t there 7 trees? The BATUS Beaver made a forced landing on the training area ( the size of Yorkshire) and managed to hit one...

69FF79F2-2FAE-4109-B423-231F6E66F0E7.jpeg
3rd Shock Army stayed tucked up in bed because of these...

These were pretty impressive trundling around the Weser and Rhine 23 Amphi. Sqn. RE Gordon Bks Hameln I was there 68 -70

1605997457429.png

M3 Bridging Rigs ? 28 Amphibious Engineer Regt at Hameln had them IIRC.
German made kit. Very clever, the way they cantilevered open, but rather you than me on the Weser - very fast flowing.

I was in 23 Sqn in 87-88.

Did we have M2 in 1970, I thought it was still the French Gillous then?

Personally I wasn’t a fan of the M2. Too much maintenance. I always thought we should have continued with the purchase of the Ribbon Bridge.
Aye they were, the gillois were being phased out in 68 and we were getting the M2 into service

28 Amphibious ('Ambitious')Engineer Regt were stationed at Bindon Bks.

35 Engineer Regt were stationed at Gordon Bks.
Aha but in 68 it was just 23 Amphibous Sqn. Not a Regt. Till much later

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
28 Amphibious ('Ambitious')Engineer Regt were stationed at Bindon Bks.

35 Engineer Regt were stationed at Gordon Bks.

Had a fortnight's attachment with 35 in the summer of 1976. Great fun.

Watched 28 on the Weser with their rigs and a 500kg HE demolition of some German range butts. Plus a few ice-creams, beers and Pommes mit Mayo.

Latest Threads