Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold War Photos.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Reversing is definitely down to the commander.
However , Hussars are probably the best trained and most professional drivers on the planet, so rarely needed to be reprimanded for anything.
At all.
Ever.
I like a bit of comedy on a Friday evening! ;)

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Question for heavy armour types - specifically MBTs. They're obviously tremendously powerful, heavy things that can drive through obstacles etc. If you're doing this on scheme, and a tree branch rips the lights off, or smashes the tool bins, or optics or whatever, how much drama did this create?

If you did that with a B Veh and a tree reconfigured your Rover or Bedford, at least in my Corps, you'd have to fill out an FMT3 and that generally meant tapping the boards. Even if the OC dismissed the charge, it's still a ball ache.

I can't imagine hordes of tank drivers and commanders filling out an entire pad of FMT3s after an exercise.

Or were A vehicles no different to B vehicles in that respect?

Speaking as an ARV driver/commander on Centurian, Chieftain and Challenger all in BAOR from '76 to '86.

Centurian: Nobody bothered unless there was a death. We followed our squadron MBT's across fields, though woods and even driving down a road the order could be to 'rigyt stick' and away they'd go, flattening fences and ditches. All this damage had to paid for obviously, but the exercise damage fund appeared to be limitless.
On more than one occassion I have purposedly knocked down a barn or brick outhouse (with the farmer looking on) He would supply us with beer/fresh eggs and put a compo claim in at endex for a new building, I never had any drama doing this. Broken and bent bits of our vehicle were sorted in house. At my first unit one of the full screws 'sold' a complete set of Centurian tracks to a scappy and we had a spectacular Christmas party.

Cheiftain: Grown ups starting twitching at the sign of any damage to civilian property or damage to the vehicle. The Sqn MBT's appeard to have dakkered down on the damage, they would follow the woodline and the sides of fields if they had to go cross country.

Challenger. None of the above. All damage to the vehicle had to accounted for, (we obviously tried sorting stuff out ourselves before anyone in charge noticed.) The MBTs were sticking to the training areas and we even had to stop 'fighting' and travelling at weekends.

The late 70's were cracking times for exercise and we went on loads.

27 Fd Regt and 22 Sigs. 49 didn't take over until sometime after Sept 83 when I left.

Ah well...beaten to it by the person that should have known in the first place.

These are all true facts

Really? A combat range that could be as low as 60 miles?
Must have been doing something right despite lack of 'stamina' Complete operators of the Centurion main battle tank (beyond the British Army) became Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, India, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Somalia/Somaliland, South Africa, Sweden and Switzerland.
Mono Trailer or extra fuel tank gave it 100 miles combat range.

49 Regiment, 22 Signals and REME.
27 Medium Regiment were in Lippstadt from January 1969. Gun Batteries were all equipped with M109s.
In Jan 72 132 Bty moved to 39 Missile in Paderborn and were replaced by a 56 Battery from 50 Msl Regt, which re-equipped with the M110 which you see in the photographs upthread - an 8 inch gun on the same motor carriage as the M107.

49 Regt didn't get to Lippstadt until 1986.

27 Medium Regiment were in Lippstadt from January 1969. Gun Batteries were all equipped with M109s.
In Jan 72 132 Bty moved to 39 Missile in Paderborn and were replaced by a 56 Battery from 50 Msl Regt, which re-equipped with the M110 which you see in the photographs upthread - an 8 inch gun on the same motor carriage as the M107.

49 Regt didn't get to Lippstadt until 1986.

I know - I corrected myself a bit later.

DRE Suffield:

The circles were for the blast effects of the big (conventional) bangs there. Large areas are contaminated with mainly blister agents I think (ask 1 BW).
Ah, yes. I remember the briefing about OOB areas re contamination.

Reading your Wiki link took me to the one for Medicine Hat. Apparently the city takes about C$120 million a year income from visiting British Army personnel. Mainly from postcards I assume....

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember with a big CRINGE how we were going to win the Viet Nam War from our Sqn bars .

And you were sober and could take photo's!
Most of our POs went home needing dark rooms and stomach pumps.
I was billeted near the YO and there was a medical bay near by (IIRC) where the MO seemed to take a perverse delight in describing the various venereal diseases that were on offer locally.

Ah the M110. The gun system which an elder gunner officer in the Mess at Woolwich insisted couldn't possibly have been deployed with 1 UK Armd Div 1990-91 never mind the fact that I had personally seen them. I knew why he thought that but I've often noted how much people who weren't there think they MUST know more than those who were, and I've tried to remember that as a lesson for all of us. "You weren't there man!" ;)

Latest Threads