Cold War Photos.

Oh sorry, the Bangy thing that replaced the SLR . It must have been around then ( Must remember to call it SA 80). We had about 15 mins on it. I was not impressed
Oh, that…..

yeah, SA80, that bit I remember 3 decades on. L85? Not sure I ever knew that. What an empty life I must have lead.

No, I didn’t.

If they want to come after me 37 years on, so be it.

The Director General no longer exists and I’m reasonably sure neither the paymaster nor the books do either.

I forget what the course was that all Subbies were supposed to go on, The All Arms Small Minded Accounting Course or something? I was doing my hair.
Don’t know about subbies, but I had to go on a 2 week Military Accounts Course at Worthy Down.

Service Funds Accounting (SFA). I got 96% in my exam and got a ferkin' B grade. Nowhere else in the world do you get a B for 96%.
Nobody gets an “a” for SFA. Count yourself lucky.
I taught upgrader courses to SPS people for a while, but couldn‘t enter the sanctum sanctorum that was Service Funds.
Its just maths.

You got BL right. Certainly a BMP-1 and MTLB variants on the REME side of the house. It was a NVA T-72 train.
View attachment 620120
Top Left: BTR-60 Arty.Comd. Vehicle...Top Right: MT-LBu or ACRV M1974...take your choice on when the photo was taken !

Bottom Left: 2s3 152 SP howitzer (I had the pleasure of assisting in getting the first close up ground photography of this beast in the DDR...the Tour Officer was an RCT Major !)

Bottom Right: VT-55A recovery tank ;-)

Last edited:
The Berlin Wall Memorial is located in the Bernauer Strasse and is well worth a visit

Berlin Wall Memorial
I said some time ago my Uncle Ernst was caught behind it and was returned to the west somewhat the worse for wear. The Ossie’s/ Ruskies had nicked him for black marketeering fuel or some such.Grandma was beside herself as she didn’t know where he was. The story as it unfolded was that Ernst had visited his sister and she had given him a goose for Grandma:mrgreen:. As he crossed the sperre he was nicked and swifted. But grand ma had already lost two sisters to the sovs in the last lot whilst they were “liberating “ Berlin and much else. The goose, of course never did arrive.

I said some time ago my Uncle Ernst was caught behind it and was returned to the west somewhat the worse for wear. The Ossie’s/ Ruskies had nicked him for black marketeering fuel or some such.Grandma was beside herself as she didn’t know where he was. The story as it unfolded was that Ernst had visited his sister and she had given him a goose for Grandma:mrgreen:. As he crossed the sperre he was nicked and swifted. But grand ma had already lost two sisters to the sovs in the last lot whilst they were “liberating “ Berlin and much else. The goose, of course never did arrive.

What did your German family side do during the war? Genuinely interested.

What did your German family side do during the war? Genuinely interested.
survive as best they could!!!
Ernst was in Russia, just a stubble hopper, Grandad got called up ditto, I know he was Obergrefreiter, Aunt was in the Lufwaffe as a telephonist/ filming unit for them as she had journalism quals. Mum was just out of school working in a Bank. Terrifying the lot of them.
In real life Ernst was a Brewery Driver, Grandad ran an inn with Grandma, Aunt did this an that and mum worked in a bank.

Service Funds Accounting (SFA). I got 96% in my exam and got a ferkin' B grade. Nowhere else in the world do you get a B for 96%.
Quite right. I bet if your accounts were 4% adrift there would have been trouble ;)

@Pteranadon: I liked the first image you used in your Ex Bear Claw 2016 video, showing the Reichstag under attack.

su_ww2_khaldei_reichstag_0001.jpg

Very dramatic but, unfortunately, actually a fake! A montage created by the famous Soviet war photographer Yevgeny Khaldei. He took this photo of the Reichstag on 2 May 1945.

su_ww2_khaldei_reichstag_0002.jpg

He then mounted in this JS2 which he had photographed elsewhere, smudged in the "clouds of smoke" and then inked in the aircraft by hand! Khaldei referred to his editing as corrections to dramatise and enhance the events.

su_ww2_khaldei_reichstag_0003.jpg

Reportedly a pilot later wrote a letter to Khaldei in which he claimed to have been one of the pilots of the planes overflying the Reichstag as the image was captured.

Last edited:
@Toastie: further to your roadtrip plans I suggest you pick up the 2 Past Finder guidebooks by Maik Kopleck. I find them to be of excellent value.

Kopleck, Maik. Past Finder: Berlin 1933-1945. Christoph Links Verlag, Berlin, 2006 (second edition). ISBN 978-3-86153-363-4
Kopleck, Maik. Past Finder: Berlin 1945-1989. Christoph Links Verlag, Berlin, 2006. ISBN 978-3-86153-411-2

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! Amazon has them in stock.

If you're driving to Berlin on the A2 then definitely stop at the "Gedenkstätte Deutsche Teilung Marienborn" just after Helmstedt. Just South of Helmstedt, near Schöningen, is the Grenzdenkmal Hötensleben, about one Km of original border fortifications. I have seen this memorial described as the best and most complete remaining evidence of the Inner German Border Fortifications.

In Berlin, you and Mrs T can spend several hours on Clay Allee - you at the Allied Museum and Mrs T at the Brücke-Museum with a wonderful collection of early twentieth century German Expressionist art. Incidentally the Brücke-Museum was David Bowie's favourite gallery during his time in the city. Then there are the two Bowie cult locations - Hauptstraße 155, in Schöneberg, where he lived together with Iggy Pop and Hansa Studios in the Köthener Straße in Kreuzberg overlooking the wall where he recorded Heroes.

@Pteranadon: I liked the first image you used in your Ex Bear Claw 2016 video, showing the Reichstag under attack.

View attachment 620670

Very dramatic but, unfortunately, actually a fake! A montage created by the famous Soviet war photographer Yevgeny Khaldei. He took this photo of the Reichstag on 2 May 1945.

View attachment 620671

He then mounted in this JS2 which he had photographed elsewhere, smudged in the "clouds of smoke" and then inked in the aircraft by hand! Khaldei referred to his editing as corrections to dramatise and enhance the events.

View attachment 620672

Reportedly a pilot later wrote a letter to Khaldei in which he claimed to have been one of the pilots of the planes overflying the Reichstag as the image was captured.

I don't think that 'artistic licence' was something unique to the Soviets. There were staged events captured for posterity by both sides during WW1 and I think that the iconic flag raising at Iwo Jima was set up for the cameras.

Latest Threads