Cold War Photos.

Now, your Soviets would have drunk it. That grounded their helicopter fleet in the south in early 1985.
Anti-freeze in the winter and boot polish on bread in the summer.
Back in 75... Neues Deutschland had a full page screech about,a Sov Troop train that was held in Brandenburg,after a large number of drunken Russian troops 'rampaged' through the city !

An investigation by the 'authorities' discovered a number of stills secreted in the 'M' wagens transporting them !

Truxx

LE
Meanwhile in another part of the forest....

Iron Triangle 1977. Picture taken on Hohne ranges. Eager Beaver driven from Duisburg
IMG_20140525_0008.jpg

Little point in drinking antifreeze when a litre of vodka was less then a quid. So cheap in fact we used to use it as winter screenwash
Used to get massive bottles from the NAAFI for about 20 bucks, bottle of coke and that was it for a weekend, plus the Apfelcorn in the room fridge.

I don't think that is has been posted previously?

Great vid!
God - it was a cold 1...
Had a big smile whilst watching it: That's a Leopard2, that's a Lynx, that's a M113, that's a Amph Eng, etc etc
Lovely !!!
The attached photo reminded me of my Comb. Engineer days - shudder....

Attachments

• 1605105937551.png
    1605105937551.png
    849 KB · Views: 179

HSF

LE
Technically you couldn't do it with those either - too much "washing out" of FIPs and rings, plus the kero burns very hot which kills exhaust valves
only abt 10% or less but did the job,wasnt aware of any obvios damage,but most of the engines were past their(poor) best anyway

The tipple of choice for the discerning defender of (whichever) freedoms, eh? When working with the Mongolian Army it was dispensed, in various qualities,, freely to the troops, and commercially available as well in all the best outlets … the unbranded plain-wrapper stuff was pretty good, from memory.
8B8C4938-9751-4F29-8EE8-BDE1E1FBFD38.jpeg
E326645F-4262-4183-AE76-7287BE4299BF.jpeg

Little point in drinking antifreeze when a litre of vodka was less then a quid. So cheap in fact we used to use it as winter screenwash
Soviet troops lived in 'Dry' Barracks and, couldn't go out unaccompanied...the Sov Army had to change the recipe for issue boot polish...they were distilling that as well !

Truxx

LE
Soviet troops lived in 'Dry' Barracks and, couldn't go out unaccompanied...the Sov Army had to change the recipe for issue boot polish...they were distilling that as well !
Post Wall they didn't. I stayed in a MRR barracks in Minsk where vodka was served with breakfast.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Post Wall they didn't. I stayed in a MRR barracks in Minsk where vodka was served with breakfast.
Interestingly in the mid-80s both the Sovs and the Amis went through an anti-boozing campaign at the same time. All very puritanical. That's why the Germans (both East and West) used to like to strip off by the lakes and drink beer.

We are talking GSFG, whole new ball game !

18/24 months in the DDR, no home leave, only allowed out accompanied by an officer (normally a cultural visit), nobody under the rank of WO allowed to drink alcohol...

We are talking GSFG, whole new ball game !

18/24 months in the DDR, no home leave, only allowed out accompanied by an officer (normally a cultural visit), nobody under the rank of WO allowed to drink alcohol...
Out of curiosity, and a gen question, how did the Sovs view a 'posting' to GSFG based on those conditions - or did the conscripts not know what it was like until they arrived? Having never eyeballed them until after the end of the Cold War (saw their Airborne types out in Croatia whilst on UN duty - wasn't overly impressed).

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Out of curiosity, and a gen question, how did the Sovs view a 'posting' to GSFG based on those conditions - or did the conscripts not know what it was like until they arrived? Having never eyeballed them until after the end of the Cold War (saw their Airborne types out in Croatia whilst on UN duty - wasn't overly impressed).
My take is that the officers loved it. They were envious of the wealth of the East Germans compared to home. The soldiery were very tightly controlled and hardly ever got out. AWOL and suicides were not uncommon.

The young girl who acted as an interpreter for me (Russian into German) on one of my better detentions had to apply for travel papers weeks in advance to go to Dresden from Karl Marx Stadt.